Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ask For Permission today

Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Ask For Permission today

Well, today i was driving into town and for the past week i was gonna stop at this place that owns about 80 acres of great whitetail hunting. Stopped in, introduced my self asked politly and i got a no. i was kind of upset cuz i thought they would say yes since she is my principal but that's ok. It would of been a great spot for this year but i guess i gotta keep looking and scouting for new spots. Hopefully i will get a coulple more spots so that come hunting i wont over pressure some of the other spots cuz my dad loves to go but he just goes to be out there. He doesnt like to do the scent lok stuff and walk out of hiswaynot to spook deer walking in and out and get out there early and stay all day. I think he sometimes recks some of my prime spots but that's ok cuz he was the one who got me started in hunting so i'm looking for new spots all the time. Hopefully i'll find some prime habitat.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Ask For Permission today

Don't give up. You did the right thing by stopping to ask. You will get alot of no's but keep pluggin away, you'll get some yes's also. Get yourself established as a polite ethical person as well as a hunter and you would be suprised how fast word travels. Good Luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree. It is never too early in the year to ask but the day or even the week before the season starts is definitely too late in my opinion.

On the other hand, since the owner was your principal, couldn't you have promised to run passes around in the morning or help crack down on students arriving late in the morning?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:58 PM

It takes a lot of work to get permission these days, but hang in there and keep asking politely!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 PM

Yep, be persistant and go by her place around spring time with a folder containing all of your info. Address, hunting license, drivers license, hunter safety course, etc.... I remember someone posting that idea in an earlier thread and I thought it was a great idea. Let's them know everything about you. Leave it with them and then go back during the summer to follow up. Since she is your principle, I wouldn't bug her about it at school. Just wait until next year.

You will get more no's nowadays than yes'. Just be persistant, not a nuisance though, and ask land owners in the spring. I have found that it works better. Check out some public land also. More work but you can get nice deer off of public land. Maybe you can take your dad to public land so he doesn't mess up your prime spots?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey ridge runner don't feel bad. while i was in ky i went and asked one of my relatives if i could hunt less than like 5 acres of ground that borders on my family's farm and got a no. just keep it in mind and i'm not saying to suck up to her but sometime just mention it to her, preferably not when you get sent to her office but if you have time after school maybe. she might change her mind.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Volunteer some of your time for work at her place. This is what I do, I volunteer a weekend of my time in the summer to a farmer (they love free help during hay season) in trade for permission to hunt. I often get as many yes's as I do no's this way. Maybe she would like her lawn mowed for free this summer??
Old 07-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

And don't forget to ask again next year. People change their minds sometimes.