Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What new string silencer should I use

Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Default What new string silencer should I use

I currently have silencers on my string which closely resemble spinner bait skirts. The little rubber pieces are coming out, and breaking. I want to take them off and put something else on the string. What does everyone else use for silencing their strings? I currently have string leaches on my cables. Do I need to use them on the string, or would something else be better? I have heard they don't last very long when on the string. I am interested in everyones opinion and what y'all consider to be the "best" string silencer.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What new string silencer should I use

The newest versions of the leeches seem to be getting pretty good reports in terms of durability. Maybe they have finally solved that issue.

I am still just using the factory installed "hush kit" on both of my bows. I haven't had a single finger of the squidee fall off yet. That means something to me considering how many times I have seen the contrary posted here.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr
I am still just using the factory installed "hush kit" on both of my bows. I haven't had a single finger of the squidee fall off yet. That means something to me considering how many times I have seen the contrary posted here.
PA, let me in on your secret to keeping the legs on the string silencer. I had one leg break off on the 3rd shot I made with a brand new bow. Only one leg left on the top "squidee", the others are fine.

As for the original question, the new leaches are nice but do an experiment to find out if you really need them. When my last bow was tuned up it was really quiet without any string silencers on it.(Buckmaster G2) I did have the split limb silencers and an equalizer/silencer on it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 AM

I have leaches in right now just because i found some really cheap one day and bought three packages. When i run out though, im going back to spider legs(the spinnerbait lookin ones). Everyone says theyre slower, but if you play around and put them in the right spot on your string, they wont slow it down at all.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:33 AM

To tell you the truth I would just replace it with what it has, they work just as well in my opinion. I actually use the yarn puff balls. They work great and last forever pretty much, not to mention they are pretty cheap. The down side is they get wet and if you go thru brush they will pick up all kinds of things. I have never noticed it effecting the way my bow shoots though. I have shot in the rain many times. The bow is not any louder (at least I can't hear it over the rain) and it does not effect the arrow flight.

I don't like any of the rubber silencers because they all make this whipping sound when you shoot. Even the cat whiskers. And the leaches and simular products don't last very long, especially for the price. My bowtech came with the factory hush kit as well. Within a week it had limb savers and puff balls on it.

Paul
Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I have both String Leeches and cat whiskers on my string . I don't worry about losing a couple of feet per second , at 20-30 yards the deer won't have time to do much about it if they do hear it . I also have Limbsavers on the limbs at four points , and a Sims modular stabilizer, the recurve is now very quiet indeed .
Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd stick with the catwhiskers like you've already got, just install them differently. If you just knot them on the string, the knot works loose and they fall apart in short order. Also, that leaves the legs too long and floppy, so they do make that 'whipping sound'.

Instead of tying them on like that, cut each of the sheets into 2" lengths. Then put one or two pieces on each side of the string, line the ends up and clip them in place. A small pair of hemostats is perfect for this job. Clip them out toward the ends! Tightly - very tightly - wrap serving thread or dental floss around the midpoint of your silencers, about 5-6 wraps is plenty. Just be sure you've cinched them down good, really compressing the rubber around the string. Then tie off and melt the ends of the thread to keep the knot from loosening. A drop of fletching glue could be added to the knot for insurance.

When you seperate the strands, instead of having long, nasty, flappy legs, the silencers will form nice little balls and won't make any noise of their own. They'll last as long as the string does. They also work just as well, if not better, than those expensive, fancy, solid rubber silencers. And those fancy ones won't last nearly as long.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're going to use the catwhiskers you really have to tie them on. Personnally, it's pretty hard to beat the String Leeches from Sims. The new ones will outlast your string.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

My vote is leeches.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:16 PM

use string leeches

Quick Reply: What new string silencer should I use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.