Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me in selecting the right Crossbow

Old 07-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help me in selecting the right Crossbow

Terry M. A question that's been haunting me for some time...how do you go about changing the string and cables on a compound crossbow? Some kind of special press, or do you just back off on the limb bolts?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:13 AM

DoctorDeath:

As usual, you're getting a lot of subjective information when you really need objective information. Some of the information you're getting here is also very erroneous.

Because of this, I would suggest trying tofind a good PRO Shop that can show you the differences in the various manufacturers' designs/models, explain the assets and liabilities of each, and allow you to test shoot for absolute one-on-onecomparison.

Good luck in your search.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Site Bouncer

Len,

Idon't want to turn this into a pissing match but.... I do not think your post does anything but make matters worse for Dr Death. All you didwas criticize information that was given without going into specifics about that information. Then you say that the infomation Dr. Death needs should be objective and not subjective and he can find objective information at a "pro shop". Yet you being a "pro shop" ownerwon't give him any. Becides that, what Dr. Death is doing by posting a question on an open forum is asking for SUBJECTIVE opinions.

Sometimes you get better information from those who use the products every day and know the ins and outs of that particular product than you would if you went to a "pro shop" who may or may not know the product past what he reads about it.

This is not the first post you have written that you "under your breath" make it known the information is either not correct or subjective yet you never seem to correct itor help outbecides saying "go to a pro shop" Sorry but the archery world does not revolve around PRO SHOPS!

All those fancy achievements in your sig line aren't worth the paper they are written onif you won'tstick your neck out once in a while and give YOUR OPINION....after all that IS what Dr Death is asking for right?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most guys here on this forum, I'd be honored to go hunting with. There are some though, I wouldn't go to the woods with under any circumstances, and the list of that group seems to be growing daily.
Ok Arthur...fess up, which list am I on?

Old 07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

One or the other, my friend. One or the other. [8D]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM

i like the crossbow debate!
i have heard for a long time that crossbow shoul not be legal during bow season, i ask why? here is my case, my 12 year old daughter loves to go to the woods with me and wants to be able to hunt. this year she is old enough for big game.
1.crossbow= a bow with a stock?
2.shoots arrows and broadheads
3. has a range of effectivness, just like any other bow
a. recurve about 25 yards
b. compound, again depends on K.E. correct?
c. crossbow, depends on K.E. correct
my daughters crossbow has 150# draw, and shoots an short arrow (bolt) at 345f.p.s. ....and most of u are saying what does the bolt weigh? it weight is 453 grains...that is 122 K.E. wow...so what is it's effective range, well it will out penetrate any compound out there, but it all depends on her accuracy, and ofcoarse the animal's reaction!
now, give me reasons why they should not be used in bow season!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM

BigJ12:

HOW does my post "make matters worse for Dr Death"? Even if he really does want subjective information, what he's getting is erroneous subjective information. Also, I didn't "criticize information that was given", I pointed out that"some of the information" is erroneous. For me to go on any forum and criticize specifically what others have posted only invites trouble and I haven't got time to argue like I used to do years ago.

And, why should I go into "specifics"? As I stated, what I do in my shop is "show you the differences in the various manufacturers' designs/models, explain the assets and liabilities of each, and allow you to test shoot for absolute one-on-onecomparison."

Then you say that the infomation Dr. Death needs should be objective and not subjective and he can find objective information at a "pro shop.
You should really try to read my posts better. What I posted was "I would suggest trying tofind a good PRO Shop". Note the words "find" and "good". This is where we needemphasis. IMPO, there arearchery retailers,archery shops, pro shops, and good pro shops. I was advising him to find a good PRO Shop; and, I define this as one that will give information as I described.

Yet you being a "pro shop" ownerwon't give him any.
Are youof the opinion that all PRO Shopowners should go on the forums and give everyone in the world any information that is requested?Are youof the opinion that any professional should disclose any request made by anyone?

Also, what would the manufacturers say if I went on a public forum and talked negatively about their products? How would they react to my requests/purchases when I have needs? Been there, done that and don't want to go back!

If DoctorDeath is "asking for SUBJECTIVE opinions", so be it. I only advised him thatSOME of those SUBJECTIVE opinions were erroneous, and indicated that he might be able to find alternative information that might be objective.

Sorry but the archery world does not revolve around PRO SHOPS!
Interesting that you posted such a statement, because I've NEVER implied that. The fact that I come here to review responses surely should indicate that I find the forums to be a viable source of information. In the past few years I try tolimit my responses to safety issues and issues where controversy is usually limited. I haven't got the time or inclination to dwell on other matters.

"This is not the first post you have written that you "under your breath" make it known the information is either not correct or subjective yet you never seem to correct itor help outbecides saying "go to a pro shop"
Looks like you're watching me intently and that you're expecting me to give you all the answers. Heck, I don't even give my customers all the answers. Many times I give them enoughinformation to make an educated decision on their own.

All those fancy achievements in your sig line aren't worth the paper they are written onif you won'tstick your neck out once in a while and give YOUR OPINION....after all that IS what Dr Death is asking for right?
If you look carefully at my signature, you'll notice repeatedly the word 'instructor'. As an instructor I try to base information on facts and leave 'opinions' out as much as possible. I do the same thing in my store.

I'll finish with this statement. The inquiry I just received from you is exactly why me and some other PRO Shop owners don't post here and on other forums that muchany more. Look how long it took me just to respond to your post. Just think about how long it would take to respond to every post that I found to be erroneous!

Good luck and good shooting.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Site Bouncer

As usual, you're getting a lot of subjective information when you really need objective information. Some of the information you're getting here is also very erroneous.
Criticize: To analize and judge as a critic, to find fault.

To tell Dr Death the he is getting "subjective information" in lieu of "objective information" and that some of the information he was getting was "erroneous" you are indeed being critical.

And, why should I go into "specifics"?
Because that's what Dr. Death was asking. He wanted help in selecting the right crossbow. If you didn't intend to try and help as best you could then why respond at all?

You should really try to read my posts better. What I posted was "I would suggest trying tofind a good PRO Shop".
Semantics

Again if all you were going to do is recommenda GOOD "pro shop" then why respond at all?

Are youof the opinion that all PRO Shopowners should go on the forums and give everyone in the world any information that is requested?Are youof the opinion that any professional should disclose any request made by anyone?

Also, what would the manufacturers say if I went on a public forum and talked negatively about their products? How would they react to my requests/purchases when I have needs? Been there, done that and don't want to go back!
You don't have to "GIVE" any information away if you don't want to...I don't care......just don't respond to the post. If you are worried about manufactureres then why didn't you justPM him?

If DoctorDeath is "asking for SUBJECTIVE opinions", so be it. I only advised him thatSOME of those SUBJECTIVE opinions were erroneous, and indicated that he might be able to find alternative information that might be objective.
There is no "IF" about it. He was asking for help on an open forum, therefore it's understood he would get SUBJECTIVE information. So you "advised" him that he was getting wrong information but didn't have the decency to tell him what it was and thus perhaps prevent him from making a potentially wrong purchase because you "haven't got the time or inclination to dewll on other matters"

Looks like you're watching me intently and that you're expecting me to give you all the answers.
I don't expect nor desire any answers from you.

Heck, I don't even give my customers all the answers.
That says volumes.

If you look carefully at my signature, you'll notice repeatedly the word 'instructor'. As an instructor I try to base information on facts and leave 'opinions' out as much as possible. I do the same thing in my store
Sometimes subjective opinions, especially from seasond hunters far out weigh paper "facts" by far. And you will also notice that the best "instructures" use their personal experience and thus their opinions while instructing.

I'll finish with this statement. The inquiry I just received from you is exactly why me and some other PRO Shop owners don't post here and on other forums that muchany more. Look how long it took me just to respond to your post. Just think about how long it would take to respond to every post that I found to be erroneous!
Give me a breakIf you wouldease up onthe pompous attitude maybe you will stop getting these "inquiries" from me.If your too thin skinned to post on here and other forums maybe you should just stick to your "PRO" shop where you can withhold infomation till your hearts content.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

One or the other, my friend. One or the other.
...don't get me started on you Texans now....
Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know about this "subjective" or "objective" stuff but you asked for our recomendations so here is mine. I tore a rotator cuff in my shoulder last spring and had to hunt with a crossbow last year. I used a Barrnett Revolution 150 and harvested 3 deer with it. I took shots from 15-35 yards and the 35 yard shotEXITED the shoulder blade with a clean pass thru!

I think my crossbow was about $400.00 ready to hunt but I am not sure. I can't speak of other bows but EVERY crossbow I have been around is very loud compared to a bow. I have Limbsavers on mine but it still make a lot of noise. The plus side is it shoots a 22 inch (long for a crossbow) bolt at 345fps and at 15 or so yards ducking a string is not a factor.

I will agree with the post about going to a pro shop and checking them out "hands on." Buy what you like! I shot High Country bows for years and most of this board hated them. Just because a crossbow fit MY needs doesn't mean it will be perfect for you.

SF

Quick Reply: Help me in selecting the right Crossbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.