Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Popup blind hunting

Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Popup blind hunting

Do any of you hunt deer from ground blinds? I have heard while turkeys dont mind popup blinds, deer are afraid of them. Is this true and could you give me some tips to hunt from a popup blind?
Thank you
Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Popup blind hunting

I hunt deer with my bow from a ground blind. I use natural vegitation (johnson grass and ragweed). This has worked about 90% of the time. I have always thought that a popup blind is the dumbest idea for deer. I thought that deer would know that bush isn't right and split. That is what I thought before last season. My brother-in-laws both had great success with popup blinds. They offered 4 shots and 2 deer. They are beginners that can't judge distance. (clean misses). Every time the deer stepped out and stared at the blind. This happened for a minute then they continued on. They did keep an eye on the blind the entire time. Two times, it was public land. I bought mine at the end of the year on clearance. The brand we have is the "Original Dog House". Make sure you have the right height of stool or it is hard to shoot.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply stinkbelly. I also have a Doghouse blind and am planning on using it in a fencerow between a food plot and an alfalfa field with knee high grasses on the sides of the food plot. The deer walk through the food plot, into the hay field, and into a soybean field at dark. The fencerow is on a hill so the blind would probably have to be on the hay field, but as soon as the deer get on the field, they run 75 yards into the middle. Where should I put the blind?
thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Downwind.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used the Doghouse for three years now and find it to be an excellent pop-up hunting blind. I have only shot one doe out of it so far but that was more the result of the situations I used it in and the tags I had left to fill. I primarily use it in poor weather conditions but have used it when a lack of natural vegetation made a treestand impossible.

Brush it in a bit and you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:50 PM

I hunted from one last season, and had a 6 pointer 15 yards away. He looked my direction a couple of times, and am quite certain he saw the blind, but he didn't spook. In the blinds defense, I had the mesh window out of it as I was using a muzzle loader. I believe he was skittish of the black hole the window created. Seems to me as long as you brush the blind in a little bit, and even more importantly have an overhanging branch across the top to break up the roof outline, they pay little attention to blinds. I believe also that if you are in the middle of a field, no brushing in is required, just set it up and hunt. I have heard that the idea is not to "surprise" the deer as they come down the trail.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pop ups have their place in hunting. The key is putting it out a few weeks before season and then they won,t think twice about it. I know alot of people can,t do this on public ground, so in that case do all you can to camo it up with natural brush and a good back drop. I don,t like hunting out of them but have killed several deer using them. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Pop ups have their place in hunting. The key is putting it out a few weeks before season and then they won,t think twice about it. I know alot of people can,t do this on public ground, so in that case do all you can to camo it up with natural brush and a good back drop. I don,t like hunting out of them but have killed several deer using them. Good luck.

I have several pop-ups for different types of hunting , and I haven't had any trouble with deer spooking . I don't set up ahead , the point of a pop-up is portable cover . Just sitting there knowing that I'm not sitting out in the rain I hear pattering on the roof is worth it alone . Both me and my muzzleloader or bow stay dry and ready . Wind doesn't freeze me , my movements are hidden , and it even helps contain mt scent somewhat . What's not to like about them ?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Why wont setting a blind up in the middle of a field spook the deer? Will it work well in heavily hunted areas?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Anybody who's ever said popup blinds are bad for deer hunting has never hunted from one. About 2 years ago I hunted from one for the first time during the Michigan gun deer season and was amazed at how well it worked. I was buck hunting so I passed on all does I saw and bucks under 6 points. Over the week I passed on at least 40 deer before the deer I wanted strut into view. During that time I had does walk around this simple $60 popup blind and not care in the least if I was there or not. It wasn't carbon lined but they still walked downwind without the slightest care in the world. The windows didn't have neting but not a single deer was bothered by me clearly visible in the window of the blind. I thought that maybe the deer around here were just used to people so I climbed up in a tree stand to get a longer view and alarmed every deer that came by.
Trust me, these things work. The big problem is finding one with enough room to draw a bow fully.