Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Penetration at 60 yards?

Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Penetration at 60 yards?

It all dependson your abilities and judgment. The arrow will penetrate plenty at that distance. It.s 180 feet your arrow would get there in less than 1 SEC. If the deer had it,s head down feeding I doubt it would even hear the release at that distance. Don,t limit yourself because someone says you shouldn,t take a shot over 30 yds.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:33 PM

Take the shot if you know you can make it.
I could shoot over pretty accurately over 50 yards with my old bow. You should have seen the arc of the arrow though becasue the bow was only shooting 170fps.
If you have a new bow you should be able to make that shot.
If i can get my new bow to shoot out to 60 yards i would take the shot. But any 60 yard shot that i would take would have to be on an open field.
I had a huge buck hangin around in the field about 60 yards away last year. Must have been deaf becasue i was followin him for a good 100 yards around the fied. He finally saw me and ran.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:26 PM

If the conditions were right I would take the shot. But my arrow is 524 gr with a cut on contact head also. I have plenty of ke and momentum to blow right thru the beast if the arrowis placed correctly. A scenario for me wood be a feedinganimal unaware of my presenceand broadside, place the 55 yd pin at the top of the back and its right in there. Never knew what hit em.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 PM

I don't think it is a question of being able to hit what your aiming at at 60 yards it's a question of the animal not moving from the time you release the arrow until the time it gets there.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:00 PM

I have shot many 50 & 60 yard shots at the range but, I have to much love and respect for the animals that I shoot at to take that kind of shot. Anything can happen the instant you release the arrow. Yes, you can hit the animal at that distance,but more than likely wound it. WWW.PBSE.COM/MLO3135127
Old 07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea in the half second it takes the arrow to get there the ole Buck might get up and do the moon walk right out of the field. If you want trophys on the wall and meat in the freezer you better start letting arrows fly. I,ve made a ton of long shots and they don,t even hear the release like they do at 20 yds. Yes the conditions have to be right, Not windy, and if the beast knows your there don,t try it. These yuppies that won,t shoot a neck or take a long shot crack me up.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the .2 seconds it takes the arrow to reach an animal at 20 yards a whitetail buck can move out of the way quick enough for the arrow to completely miss the deer by many inches.

So don't sit here and tell us that know better that an animal like a deer or elk can not move fast enough in that half second to cause the arrow to strike way way off from where the shooter intended it to impact.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM

I have and will again if the RIGHT oportunity arrizes again. my last 60 yarder was at 62 yards paced from the base of the tree i was in. deer was feeding on acorns under a large oak. i was using my old browning summit2 with 31 in afc game getters and a 100 grain 3 blade muzzy. the deer never heard anything, just leaped and fell over.arrow hit its marke perfectly and on the exit caught its spine at the neck it was all over. 60 yards yes i practice it and will hunt at that range but only if all is right at the time of shot. deer calm, nothing between us, no wind broadside or a bit quartering away yup yup one arrow one kill.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM

First off, it is a little ridiculas to establish a set distance at which one should shoot. I know guys who are more effective at 50 yards than others are at 20. Each individual hunter has to establish their own personal effective shooting range. Secondly, an elk can move at twenty yards just as it can at 60 and effect shot placement either way. A wary deer can jump the string at 20 yards and cause a miss all togather. If I shouldn't shoot at 60 yards because the critter may move, then I shouldn't shoot at any range because the critter could move. I have seen elk killed with a rifle at over 700 yards. Long range shooting is a tool than can increase hunter opportunities. I did not come on here to argue about range shooting, I just wanted an opinion on penetration at a specific distance. I sling about 400 arrows a night and will until season starts, thats about 20,000 practice shots before season starts, I think I can determine what is my personal effective shooting range.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:08 PM

i wasn't going to get into this one, o.k. just a little, as long as u are paper tuned out to 20-30 yards not just 6 yards. and u have 60 k.e. at 1 yard. ab=nd can hit the target at 60 yards, then take the shot! u will need to know how to track, just like the guys who only shoot 20 yards!

just my .02 have fun...and bigbulls i was almost starting to like you?[:'(]

Quick Reply: Penetration at 60 yards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.