Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climber Stands - Are they difficult to use?

Old 09-24-2002, 09:27 AM

Default RE: Climber Stands - Are they difficult to use?

If you get one, practice like you would be going hunting. That is: when packed, go to a tree, undo it, climb the tree, pull bow up and get situated. Then come on down and pack it up. Do that enough to get efficient. Then go out again in the dark and do it. That will get you ready to go. If you have the straight trees, climbers work great. I carry a leatherman that has a saw blade on it for smaller diameter branches if I go someplace new.
Climbers are easy to carry with backstraps and are not hard with a little practice just like any toy. And yes, you can get up quickly, quietly with a safety strap and not break a sweat unless it's warm and humid and had a decent walk to get to the tree.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:53 PM

I have the Same equipment as NJ-Bowhunter and and agree with his comments......I don't get too tired in the Summit Viper....
Old 09-25-2002, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

They take some getting used to.Practice setting up and down.Practise packing it around,make sure is fits your body,I had to change my pack straps because I couldn't get my arms through.Take it out and set in it for a while or even better go shoot from it.Get your seat adjusted,find where it is comfortable.

Being able to find a good tree is fine until your up there and find you can't shoot at anything because of the branches from other trees.

Getting up the tree isn't too hard but once your there, finding a place to store all the goodies you brought along becomes another issue.Hooks and straps help.

Packing light is a must.Take only what you absolutely need.Especially if you have to do much of a carry.

Like everything else you will learn as you go.Ron
Old 09-25-2002, 10:43 AM

Anyoe that says you cant set up a climber or climb a tree quietly are full of crap! Last year, opening day afternoon,I enter the woods,still hunt my way in to my spot and start to connect climber to tree. Get both sections attached, look up and see three does feeding towards me at about 40 yds...long story short,doe down at 33yds....Jumping to Oct. 28th, I enter my woods and set up my climber, and while ascending the tree perhaps 12 ft up I hear deer and see them coming at about 35-40 yds. I get turned aruond and hoist my bow up and wind up taking a nice buck at 18 yds. I say climb on! Mine is a high-point sold at the local Wally-world.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:07 AM

i love my climbing stand - it is 100x easier to get a climber set up than it is to get a fixed stand set up. i can honestly say that i have never broken a sweat setting up my climber. it may not be totally quiet to set up, but it doesnt make any more noise than setting up any other stand...
Old 09-25-2002, 11:15 AM

I was reluctent to buy a climber, You know 42 with bad knees etc..
I used ladder and homemade stands. Then another hunter let me use his and I loved it. I bought a summit bushmaster and it is great. Light, with back straps and easy to cable around tree. It took me 4 times to learn how to pick right tree(always angle stand upward) and the mbiggest thing is to learn to use the harness correctly. 75% of accidents happen on way up or down YOU MUST ALWAYS USE HARNESS NO IF ANS OR BUTS!!!!!!!!The guy who showed me did not use one nor his son WHAT a DISASTER!!!! Second and just as important tie the rope that is attached to lower part of stand to upper so you never lose bottom part of climber.There is an ajustment period but once you get the hang of it you will love it. Public lands ,Private nothinhg will stop you. PS Also beware of poison ivy vines on trees. I just hacked clean three trees for future use.
If GOD is for us Who can be against us!!!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:31 AM

I really enjoy using my Tree-Lounge. I have the older and heavier model and am looking to purchase their newer and lighter weight one. It does get heavy w/ a back pack on the stand, and the stand on your back, but I can hunt all day long in it. My two buddies and I each have one. We still use fixed stands, but prefer the advantages of the Tree-Lounge. Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2002, 12:20 PM

Hey webob1528 I bet my fixed stand weighs alot less than your climber.
How can it be easier to log your climber than a fixed stand to a long distance? Just curious, unless your talking about ladder stands then they are definetly heavier than a climber.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used about every kind of stand made. Ladders, climbers and fixed position stands included. All have their advantages. Climbers offer the ultimate in portability. Strap them on your back and go where you need. The drawbacks are that if you have to pack in your stand along with your bow and backpack and other gear you can get pretty loaded down. You will have to learn how to pack everything you need in a fanny pack instead of a backpack if you use one. Other than that I still like to use climbers when I can. Unfortunately, where I hunt we don't have many trees that are climber friendly, so for the most part, I use loc on stands and climbing sticks. It has been a long time since I have bought a new climber so I can't imagine how comfortable the newer ones are. I never had a problem staying comfortable in the ones I owned. Plan on spending somewhere between $175.00 - $225.00 to get a good quality one and I'm sure you'll be plased, I never had good luck with the cheaper ones. Just be sure to take the other guys advice and tie the top and bottom pieces together, it's no fun when your 25 feet up in a tree and you bottom piece falls to the base of the tree.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matthews, if you only carry in your fixed stand how do you get it in the tree?

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!

Quick Reply: Climber Stands - Are they difficult to use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.