Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Hampshire Hunters...

Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Default New Hampshire Hunters...

My wife just told me that she may apply, or asked if I wanted to apply, for a job in New Hampshire (we both do the same thing). I told her I would have to check on the deer hunting outlook first.

So what is deer hunting like in NH? I'm getting to like the big bodies and racks of Nebraska deer, but a new hunting experience is always nice as well.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Default RE: New Hampshire Hunters...

The deer hunting is not as good as Nebraska, as we have a lot less deer. We do have some "decent" racked bucks in our state, but what many here hunt for is weight. The state runs a "Big Buck" program, and rack size doesn't factor at all in it. 200lbs field dressed is the mimimum entry point.

We have moose, and residents have a decent shot of drawing about once every 5 years. We have excellent black bear hunting as well. We have very nice long seasons and you can grab your bow and be hunting something from Sept 1st through the end of December. Good bird hunting for grouse, which are harder to hunt by far than pheasants but taste better and excellent waterfowling both inland and sea duck.

The best part though... is fall in New England. I have hunted all over and while fall IS the time to be outdoors, it is a little extra special here in New Hampshire. Who knows, you may fall in love with tracking bucks in the thick timber in a fresh snow.

You gotta love a state who's motto is "Live Free or Die"
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Default RE: New Hampshire Hunters...

Geez, Jay, do you work for the Games and Parks department of New Hampshire? You should, because I'm just about sold on moving there already from your description. I really like the moose hunting aspect, because I just told my wife the other day that my goal is to get a moose and an elk in the next ten years or so. I haven't hunted either yet. The grouse hunting sounds fun as well, but the bear hunting just doesn't float my boat. I don't like bear meat.

The deer hunting sounds like a fun challenge as well, especially the tracking on a cold, snowy day. The job is up by the White Mountain National Forest, and my search for that said much the same thing as you did- not as many, but nice size. Some pictures of the racks were pretty impressive as well.

I may have to look into the job a little more.

Thanks.

-Brad