Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moultrie or Stealth digital camera?

Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Moultrie or Stealth digital camera?

Just had a birthday and picked up some extra cash. I've been wanting to get a digital game camera and was thinking about the Moultrie or Stealth cameras and would like someinput from anyone who owns one of these, both good and bad. Funds are limited, should i get one of these or keep saving and get a different camera? Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moultrie or Stealth digital camera?

Ive owned both and would not buy either one again . cuddyback or leafriver would be better choices . The moultrie was a complete joke , the stealth somewhat better , but like I said I would not waste money on either , it would be better spent on another brand .
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 AM

Gotta agree. I owned the Stealth digital and even though I love the Stealth 35mm, I hated the Stealth digital. It was incredibly slow to trigger pics, the pic quality wasn't what I thought that it should be, and it flew through batteries like you wouldn't believe!

Moultrie hasn't had a good reputation when it comes to game cameras. I owned a 35mm from them and it was junk. It became nothing but a pure waste of money.

Right now I am looking into getting a good digital scouting camera and I am steering away from the "normal" cameras. Right now I have two that I am looking at.... the TrailMac Digital and the Camtrakker Digital Ranger. I am leaning towards the TrailMac. I have messed around with the TrailMac and this is top-notch. It features great battery life, awsome picture quality, and a very fast trigger speed. It also has a battery extender system that allows you to customize what batteries you want to use to power the system and even allows for someone to hook up a car battery to power the unit if they want to. The Camtrakker is known for having one of it not the fastest trigger speed, but the only draw back that I see with the Digital Ranger is possibly the flash not being good enough.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at the leaf river and the cuddeback for a while, but funds were a little short. I think i'll keep saving until i can get on of these. Thanks alot for the advice!!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Gotta agree. I owned the Stealth digital and even though I love the Stealth 35mm, I hated the Stealth digital. It was incredibly slow to trigger pics, the pic quality wasn't what I thought that it should be, and it flew through batteries like you wouldn't believe!

Moultrie hasn't had a good reputation when it comes to game cameras. I owned a 35mm from them and it was junk. It became nothing but a pure waste of money.

Right now I am looking into getting a good digital scouting camera and I am steering away from the "normal" cameras. Right now I have two that I am looking at.... the TrailMac Digital and the Camtrakker Digital Ranger. I am leaning towards the TrailMac. I have messed around with the TrailMac and this is top-notch. It features great battery life, awsome picture quality, and a very fast trigger speed. It also has a battery extender system that allows you to customize what batteries you want to use to power the system and even allows for someone to hook up a car battery to power the unit if they want to. The Camtrakker is known for having one of it not the fastest trigger speed, but the only draw back that I see with the Digital Ranger is possibly the flash not being good enough.
The flash on the CamTrakker Digital Ranger is just as good as it is on any of the 35mm or digital units you get from any other manufacturer. The only reason that CamTrakker offers the strobe flash is to really maximize your photo quality at farther distances. We've all got those night shots of a nice buck who is just a weeee bit out of flash range and we'd like it to be a bit brighter. There really isn't any camera with a built-in flash that can give you that, hence the optional strobe. However, for 95% of your photos you're fine with the standard flash that is included.

I've never had the opportunity to test or use any of the TrailMac cams, but I've personally used and seen every camera that CamTrakker makes including the new Digital Ranger and I have to say they are top-notch. The choice is obviously yours, but CamTrakker's been doing it for a long time and they've got great products and awesome customer service. IMO you can't go wrong with them.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info from me as well guys. I was looking to upgrade to a digital and at least know I know what to stear clear from.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Justin,

Thanks for the info. I have two more questions for ya about the CamTrakker. First, is the flash the only difference between the standard digital and the digital ranger? The price differance between them seems pretty hefty just to have the differance being the flash. Also, what is the battery life for the digital ranger? I couldn't really find a clear answer to that on any web-site. Thanks again, I have a tough decision between the CamTrakker and the TrailMac!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Stealth also, and it does eat batteries. I purchased the external 12v battery and it has been runnning for over a month and the battery indicator is still full. Hopefully with the external it will get about 2 months with one charge.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any experince with the Stealh, but I do have a Moultrie digital and have been having good sucess with it. I went ahead and bought the solar panel and rechargeable 6 volt battery and it ran for over 3 months before the coons disconnected the solar panel. It has taken close to 1000 pics and still going strong. Spend the cash and get a 256MB SD card so you can set it on high res and get a decent amount of pics. There's a place on EBAY selling them for $99 or if you want to try one out, buy it from Bass Pro for $129 and if it doesn't perform to your liking then return it and upgrade. I really don't know what the others were expecting to get for under $200, but it performs to my satisfaction for what I paid for it. Sure there are much better cameras out there but for much more money.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 AM

I have to agree with Mike from Texas. I just got a Moultrie digital a few weeks ago and I like it. For the price I'm real happy.

Quick Reply: Moultrie or Stealth digital camera?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.