Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is this normal

Old 07-03-2005, 10:34 PM

Default is this normal

ok i done it now. made my frist newby mistake with my new arrows.
i was shooting this past morning and and on one of my shots, just as i shot, i looked up to see the arrow instead of following thru. stupid stupid stupid.enough said, no it aint, stupid stupid stupid. anyhow i completely missed my target. i struck a pine tree root. shattered my gt xt 5575. shattered about the first four inches of my arrow.
this is the first time that i have ever shattered an arrow. my set up is bk2 70 lbs 30 in draw 28 in arrows blazer vanes 85 gr tip.
anyone ever had this happen? is it a fluke? arrows not tough enough? wrong set up?
now i wonder what it will do if i hit amajor bone in a deer or wild hog?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: is this normal

You shot a darn pine tree.....Imsure it would shatter. It would also depend on how far away it would be.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somethings wrong. You shoot a BowTech. It should have blew right through the tree. [8D]
Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM

No, it's not normal. The only backstop I've got where I shoot is a huge pine tree. I've missed a time or two and shot Gold Tip XT 55/75's into the tree and had them come out fine. I've lost an insert and field point in the tree before, but never have I had one shatter.

My advice, don't miss next time.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

My backstop is a block wall. I have broke thru the first layer already,Now there is a hole in the wall.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been toying with trying the xt. I have shot into my wood shed with the 7595 pro's with no problems. Maybe it's the 7595 wieght or maybe it's that they are pro's. My hunter 5575 were not near as tough, and half the cost.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends. I've seen carbons survive horrific impacts without any ill effects at all. I've seen some completely explode on hits you wouldn't think would cause 'em to even whimper. I guess it all has to do with the angle of the impact.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 AM

TO: MR. DK. if it wornt for that arrow exploding on impact, [:@], it would have picked that tree up and tossed it to the side for me, guess the gts just cant handle the explosive power of the bow tech.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:54 AM

You Can now offically say your a bow hunter!!
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM

ive hit oak trees with my aluminums and they were fine, but i did not get point back.
Our backstop is a piece of coveyer belt, the carbons will break if they hit it but the aluminums wont

Quick Reply: is this normal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.