Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recommend a big blind

Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recommend a big blind

Thinking about getting one of the new double bull blinds. I have a very long 31" draw so most blinds I've tried don't offer many good bow shots.

I've tried the penthouse and doghouse but neither are big enough.

I'm looking for something big, quiet obviously, and easy to set up. I saw an ad for one of double bull's new blinds, supposed to set up in 7 seconds, has silent adjust windows, and no flaps to slap in the wind.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

.... or maybe I should just get the tripod stand
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Recommend a big blind

I bought a Trophy Den, from Hunter's View. It came straight from Sportsman Warehouse. It is a hub style blind, (admittedly, the hubs of this blind are relatively week), priced under $90, shoot threw windows, the whole enchilada. After I bought it, I can see its week points, but, for the money, it was WELL worth it. I have a 30" draw, and I have all kinds of room.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 PM

i have the same blind asmobowhunt, i think the same about it! big enough and great price, i bought mine from sportsman's guide for $55.00 and i ot it in 3 days! i just don't think i could spend $300.00 on a blind, just my .02
Old 07-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a double bull T5 and I have plenty of room. You can even fit 2 guys in. My opinion is Double Bulls are one ofthe sweetest blinds out there. The silent windows are nice. It sets up in 7 seconds but that's once you get use to setting it up. lol

You have to practice a few times before goingin the field with one. And taking it down is just as tricky. They are tight with no slapping. The cam on the inside is adjustable so if it does stretch over time youcan tighten it up. Downside is the price but they stand behind any frame and any defects. Overall I like the blind very much so give them a look.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was checking out one made by Ameristep the other day. I dont remember the name , but it was big enough for anybody. It was tall enough for me to stand up straight (I'm 6'3") and had more than enough room in diameter. I believe it was around $189? Looked like everything anyone could want from a popup ground blind.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have the Ameristep Penthouse--is that the Penthouse you are referring to? I draw 30.5" on a 66" longbow and have room for me, the bow, my son, and a couple of small folding chairs. I do have to pay attention to what I'm doing, but no more than I would in a treestand.

Chad
Old 07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ameristep Penthouse--is that the Penthouse you are referring to?
Yes I still have that one. I found it great for shotgun and fits all my gear great I just can't find a comfortable shooting angle without my elbow hitting fabric or the bow hitting the window. Also in any wind over 12mph I find it extremely noisey.

Does anyone know if the double bull is strong enough to hang a bow from one of the top supports? or perhaps that is already included in the design I don't know.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Double Bull is the best built and the roomiest. The new Matrix is awesome and would be my first choice. I also have the T5, just as big but with many blind spots. I'd only look at the quality DB products!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

No idea what you could use then--that's the biggest blind I've found. Don't understand why it's a problem shooting a compound from it, but I've never tried from mine--figured if I could shoot a 66" longbow from it (I'm 6' 2" myself) with my son in there with me, a compound would be a breeze. Good luck with your search.

Chad
Old 07-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I still have that one. I found it great for shotgun and fits all my gear great I just can't find a comfortable shooting angle without my elbow hitting fabric or the bow hitting the window.
Wow, that surprises me. I have a 31 inch draw and have googles of room to move inside my Penthouse. However, I might also suggest another blind by Ameristep with more of the hub-style design. The name escapes me right now but I know it had similar dimensions to the Penthouse. www.ameristep.com