Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to my first 3D shoot this weekend...what to expect?

Old 06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Going to my first 3D shoot this weekend...what to expect?

I've got my Allegiance dialed in out to 40 yards and decided to go to my first 3D shoot this weekend. I'm never been to a 3D shoot even as a spectator so I have no idea what to expect. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 PM

Default RE: Going to my first 3D shoot this weekend...what to expect?

Have fun......don't dwel(sp?) on your score. Its all about having fun.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Yep, expect to have fun. I don't do it very often but it is fun when I do. Be curtious to others and don't be afraid to ask for help. Let them know you are new and see if there is someone that can show you the course or something. Most archers are very friendly and like to help others.

I conduct myself the same way I would on a golf course and haven't had a problems, but like I said I have not gone that many times.

Oh, unless your good at judging yardarge or have a range finder expect to lose some arrows. I have lost a couple even with a range finder. Darned down hill shot on an alligater! Of course I tried it at 45 yards standing against a steep hill. Arrow bounced off his back and went I don't know where? Another time I used the wrong pin on a racoon[&o]. It happens I guess.

Paul
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 PM

If your going by yourself I would wait at the first shot and see if you can hook up with a couple guys that have been through the course before. It will make it a lot easier and safer for everyone.

My two bits of advice: Don't be the guy that asks "what pin did you use" after every shot. That gets anoying real quick.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a tournament , be patient! Some shooters will take 20 minutes glassing the target , drawing , backing down , drawing again , you get the picture. Use it as a learning experience for judging yardage , dont ask others what pin they used , and dont use a rangefinder. 3d is all about judging yardage. It's o.k. to bring some binos to pick out the x ring on the targets if your shooting forthe score. If your shooting just for fun and good hunting practice then just bring your bow, a good hip quiver , and leave everything else at home.

Oh, unless your good at judging yardarge or have a range finder expect to lose some arrows. I have lost a couple even with a range finder.
Paul , they let you use rangefinders in Michigan?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 PM

They do where I live. Like I said, I don't compete so it doesn't matter. Why would I practice the way I don't hunt? Some just go to have fun like I do. I don't see where it's any different then having people out there with a bright purple bow, ultra light arrows, 8 way adjustable sights with a six power scope and a stabilizer longer than the arrow they shoot. Not to mention someone to hold an umbrella for them because the sun was in thier eyes?

I walk out there with the bow I hunt with, a range finder and 3 arrows in my back pocket. It takes me about a minute or two per target to shoot. I don't see where I am a hinderance to anyone. And I'm only cheating if I expect to win or think I'm better than someone else. That's kind of hard to do when you don't even keep score.

If I went and couldn't use a range finder I would probably just leave. I would most likely run out of arrows half way thru the thing and just get frustrated. Doesn't sound like fun to me. And I can barely afford the arrows I have. I try to make them last, not look for excuses to lose them. I'm poor dude! 3-D is what you make it, not what someone else tells you it should be. If you want to compete, then you have to follow the same rules everyone else does. If you are out there to have fun and get some practice shooting at life size targets then do it the way it benifits you. Try that 3-D crap in a tree stand and see how many deer you kill.

I could see if I was out there yelling out the yardarge and stuff, but that is not the case. And I don't stand at the stakes either. I like to find different shot angles that are harder like shooting thru the V of a tree or thru some branches or something. I shoot at farther distances as well. I also don't aim for the scoring rings. Most of the time if you shoot for points it would be the wrong shot angle for a live deer. I'm more concerned with if each shot was lethal, not how many points I got at the end.

I am very non competitive any way. It doesn't bother me if someone shoots better then I do or can judge yardarge better. I'm pretty impressed by it actually. And I normally only go if someone asks me if I want to. I have a large back yard, I really don't need to drive somewhere and pay to shoot. I let them know I use a range finder as well, although I could just pretend it was optics I guess, which I don't get either? The guy I normally go with takes it serious though and has a target bow and all the stuff to go with it. He looks like his hiking up a mountain or something when he goes. I like to poke fun at him. He can judge yardarge like the dickens though! I will find a place to shoot while he is setting up his shot and shooting. Then he will walk back to where I am and whisper in my ear what he thinks the yardarge is. I range it and tell him he sucks, he is almost always right.

Paul
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 PM

Paul L Mohr
titleAndStar(613,0,0,false,"","")Non Typical

[align=center][/align] Posts: 613
[hr]I see your from Adrian, have you ever made it over to shoot at Tomahawk Archers in Temprence?

Old 06-29-2005, 11:19 PM

Nope, just been to Lenawee Conservation league a few times. I haven't been at all this year.

Since we all got laid off everyone I know has sort of gone thier seperate ways and stuff. I haven't been golfing yet either. I got my Girlfriend to shoot so I shoot with her now.

Paul
Old 06-30-2005, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

As the others mentioned, have fun. Don't get too wrapped up in how many points you have. Take one target at a time and remember that 3D was created to help hunting practice. And as Paul stated, don't feel bad if you loose some arrows.

Oh, definitely take some type of Gorilla Gripper to remove your arrows from the target. Some of them can be a real bear...no pun intended.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read this the other day and it kind of made sense. When judging yardage, If you call a certain distance 25 yards, to you it is. Unless you are required to hit sites at a given distance, for example; someone would say, "hit the one that is 25 away" among a group of many at different yardage's. 20, 25, 30 are just names we give, they don't really have to be, you could call your pins anything you want. You just have to be able to use them.

Quick Reply: Going to my first 3D shoot this weekend...what to expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.