Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Old 07-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

That's my symbolic heart shot. Wouldn't dare show the real thing you know.[&:]
Old 07-01-2005, 07:45 PM

Man this thread has gotten crazy. I see each sides point and although I try and hold out for the larger mature buck doesn't mean I think everyone should hold themselves to the same standards. I also agree with the statement that a trophy to a individual doesn't necessarily mean a 5 and a half year old 170''+ buck. Well I just wanted to stop and say this thread has shed light on alot of peoples beliefs and has been very interesting. Keep hunting and above all keep having fun..
Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Typical Buck

Rack-attack is right, if you do your homework and work hard for it you deserve it, it could be the first day or the last day. Fact is , you bust your a## in preseason you are entitled to reap the benefits. I'm all for hard work out there to find deer, the bugs the sweat, the time. A trophy is in the eyes of the hunter, We are always looking for ways to up our game so to speak, I admire some of the guys who hold out all season for a 30 second chance at old mossy horn, me I put well over 200 hours in the stand bowhunting alone, 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon all season long everyday. I have yet to learn the disipline to hold out and get nothing at the end of the season and be ok with it. I cannot and will not ever put down those guys in search of a goal what ever it may be. To me after thinking about it I was a hipocrit of those guys who just wanted to shoot a mature deer or trophy , I guess I was jealous of those select few that can do it year after year. Someday I'll be there too and probably have the same views as threads before. Please accept my apologizes.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

davidmil

You are still a crotchety old fart. Life is good as I always got a kick out of your posts/replies on this forum and the other one years back. Never thought I would see the day you gave in to the QDMers and the Ethics Posse. Go kill some deer and post pics. Lasttime I checked, we did indeed kill deer with our bows. Harvesting was for crops and there is a combine in the picture. Most of theQDMers and ethics poosewill be lucky to evenknow halfas much as you have forgotten over the years when it comes to bow hunting.

I remember the original heart shot pic you used to post. It surely can't be any worse then this picture with them white chicken legs of your's. Should be a law against posting pictures like that!!

Tim

Old 07-02-2005, 12:33 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

datamax

If small is anything under 180... I want to come hunting in your area. I've spent a lot of years watching and hunting deer here. I can only remember two bucks that would probably push the 170 mark. QDM won't put 180 class bucks in an area where the genetics for 4pts ( western count )runs rampant which we have in this area.

3.5 to 4.5 years old is an old deer here. QDM is an interesting concept but a farse in all reality when talking age structure of the buck population and hunters in general in my area. Since most hunters can't tell the difference between a 3.5 and 6.5 old buck... pushing QDM would be a waste of time here in that respect. Most hunters here still see bucks as bigor small. Most have no concept on aging them. Most have to filltheir bucktag or they feel they have failed.

I do agree with you.... that it is a personal choice in our quest for bucks. What works for me might not be your cup of tea. Neither is wrong if it is legal hunting. I don't force my opinion on anyone. I will give it though just like anyone else. I see your not afraid to give your opinion either.

Tim
Old 07-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

YUP, here we go again. Hunting season must be close. Len and I stopped posting pictures of any new deer after the last big go around on QDM and the Ethics Posse. We now post non bloody, non discript, non deer photos. You just have to take our word for it that we were happy with it. In fact, I don't think we even say much about killing(oh... EXCUSE ME) "HARVESTING" a deer any more. Sheesh.[&:] The last post with pictures were the year before last. In one, Len was jumped on for shooting two nice 8 points and a doe within 20 seconds with the bow. He was also jumped on for shot selection. We were questioned as to size on some etc etc etc( all of which were legal bucks... BUT... you know People and the Ethics Posse. MInd you, all deer in question and questionable shot selection died within seconds.... but there are those who have to spout there crap so we just play by ourselves with our own toys now. Len put three of these on the ground last week, but you won't see a picture. [8D][8D][8D]So now we just do our thing and have a heck of a lot of fun. You'll have to take our word for what works for us if we tell you.... which we probably won't. Bows don't kill deer..... bowhunters do.

Seems rare, but still a pleasure when I get to see gray hairs put to good use.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

How much of a challenge could it be if the large buck walks by at 7:20 of day 1??
If that stand took 100 hrs of scouting to find........I would say you done real good.
What if it didn't?............then you don't shoot because it was no challenge and you don't want to miss out on the whole "whitetail" experience?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: shuler44

What is your deal anyway, you will shoot anything moving, and that's fine, but why are you trying to argue that shooting "trophy" bucks is wrong.
Please show me where I said either one of those things.

ORIGINAL: shuler44

err, data you like to make things up or something. I never said 3 and half was immature. Where do you get this stuff.
Maybe he saw your above quote and was just trying to keep up
Old 07-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah but you have to wait for those big bucks to come
nice kill davbid mill
Old 07-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Atlasman I didn't get around to reading any of the replies to your original post but applaud what you wrote.Excellent post and I agree 100 percent with all of what you wrote.I hunt for the freezer number one,antlers horns or tusk's are a bonus.Thank for a great post..

Quick Reply: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.