Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Old 06-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Wow! things got a little heated lately, We can argue for ever on this topic, but one fact remains we are all a brotherhood. Raised by our forefathers to enjoy the outdoors and protect it. As we all have different opinions so do we have hunting styles. What is right for one maybe wrong for the other. What ever style you decide it is wrong to think bad of others if they don't argree with you.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:43 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I don't care what anyone shoots. I do hate it when hunters shoot a little buck andwhines about it. That is more of a problem with rifle hunters though then bow. Glad you stuck up for the older gent but don't quite agree with all your reasons.

Passing on young bucks doesn't mean they will be just as dumb as next year. Safe to say I pass on 20 -30 young bucks during bow season before rifle season starts. Most don't live through rifle season. The ones that dowill be tougher to hunt the next year.

Giving them a pass isn't going to get them throughtill next year. I passed a 140 class buck last year just hoping he would make it another year. It was tough letting him walk.Well he made it throughhunting season. We had a very mild winter but westill found him dead when we were shed hunting. He had already shed one side and the other shed was laying beside him. He was either poached or hit by vehicle.Probably the first as thereis only one road in that area and we have a few poachers in this area. It is always a gamble passing on bucks and expect to hunt themthe following year. Anyone thinking you got a dumb buck to hunt the next year is just fooling himself.They don't get big bykilling them when they are young. The older they get, the harder it gets and I get enjoyment out of bowhunting them that way.

Tim
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM

define " young buck "

define " small bucks "

define " trophy bucks "

define "mature bucks "

Those are NOT universal definitions, they are personal ones, and THAT is why this QDM/Trophy hunting thing will never be for everyone
Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

I dont think small, young, and mature are opinions. A young deer is...young. Small is small, but i agree with the trophy part.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 AM

I dont think small, young, and mature are opinions. A young deer is...young. Small is small, but i agree with the trophy part.
Young ........ I see a young deer as being anything 5.5 years and below. You ?

Small is anything below 180" P&Y ......... You ?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Young ........ I see a young deer as being anything 5.5 years and below. You ?

Small is anything below 180" P&Y ......... You ?
LMAO
Old 07-01-2005, 03:59 AM

buckeyebuckhntr - I chit you not, some people have the belief that shooting a sub 5 1/2 year old 180' deer is killing a young buck with small antlers.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

EXACTLY.

Many people have said here already that shooting the first deer that walks by would be no challenge at all right??
That is not what anyone here said. That's what you wanted it to say. Just like always atlas refuses to think outside his little box to see the big picture, only what he wants. Very typical.

Well what happens when that first one is a monster?? It is still no challenge then right and everyone would pass on him too because their is no challenge in shooting the first buck you see right?

I can count on seeing 20 or so different young bucks this season. Many of those I will see multiple times. How many mature bucks can I count on seeing? 0. A hunter sets his standards for what he wants. Many of us set that standard for a mature buck.If you did your homework and had yourself in position and a mature bucks gives a shot opportunity on the first day it is a bittersweet moment. Of course you won't pass the shot because it was "too easy" . That very well could be the only mature buck you see all fall. Tribal could fill you in on that. Ask him if his opening day brute was "too easy".

I do find it rather funny that you still hold a grudge like a child. Grow up[/align]
Old 07-01-2005, 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: shuler44

If you want to shoot anything moving thats fine, but dont try to say there is no challenge in shooting a large buck on day one, that is ignorant.
How much of a challenge could it be if the large buck walks by at 7:20 of day 1??
Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 AM

How much of a challenge could it be if the large buck walks by at 7:20 of day 1??
If that stand took 100 hrs of scouting to find........I would say you done real good.

Quick Reply: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.