Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Old 06-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Nobodies business what I shoot.If you dont like it ? TUFF I dont care what people think.and I dont care what anyone else shoots
Old 06-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was my first experience with a mature buck in bow range. Watchingthat buck gave me a feeling I had never experienced before while hunting. The buck seemed to have an aura or presence about him that I could feel.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Buckeye, I will give you credit on this one, that was very well said!!

Like buckeye, I used to shoot the first antler that went by. But now I just sit quietly and hope his older brother will stroll by. It is still a good feeling to watch a 1 1/2 year old buck walk right on by and not even notice you are there. I have only landed 1 buck in the last 4 seasons, but I have filled the freezer with some does.

But like said above, I won't try and force somebody to see things my way. To each their own!!
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 PM

I also pass the small bucks in hopes of a big one, but I do not really care what anyone else shoots. I believe it's up to each of us to determine what is a "worthy challenge."

I agree with atlasman. Some of this QDM stuff is being carried too far. If "the challenge is a very big part of" trophy hunting, then trophy hunters should relish the additional challenge provided by fewer big bucks. I know its special for me when I connect with a good one in Nov after passing some decent ones in Oct.

The more folks we have passing on spikes and forkies, the better the hunting will become. It doesn't have to be EVERYone....just many, to make a difference. Lighten up on those guys who shoot dinks. Most of us who pass on the small bucks now went through a phase where we didn't......others' attitudes will change with time and experience as well.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well put. I wish more people would adaopt the ideal that everyone hunts differently and we all put our own set of priorities on our hunts. I completely agree with your defense of your old time buddy.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM

i would love to get a monster the biggest buck iv gotten was a probably 2 inch button buck and i was the happiest kid in the world. i thought it was a doe then to find out my first deer was a buck! WOOOOOOOOOOOO i was praying for anything.iv shot at the monsters and missed. this year im really gona try not to shoota doe to gun season start or muzzleloader season. if i dont get one then its first come first serve. im happy if i even get a deer let alone a monster.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:27 PM

I too amone of those hunters who also used to kill the first legal buck that walked by my stand.Several years ago, I noticed that the majority of the people in our hunting group often sneered at their own kills, mentioning that their buck was a "scruff" ora "dink".It was comments like these that made me realize that this was disrespectful to the animal if it wasn't something to be proud of, which is why I began encouraging people to begin passing on small, young bucks. (Oddly enough, one of those people lives in Ohio and has killed three monster bucks in the past four years- one of which was a 29 point and netted 195 inches!) As long as the huntergets a chill up his spine when he shoots it, I could care less about the size of the buck he kills. ButDON'T you dare kill something that you're not gonna be proudof. It'snot right to the animal andit's not fair for the rest of thegroup.
I believe that anybody who gets a real rush out of killing a small buck has every right to kill one, as long as it's legal.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman
Is it really satisfying to just let a deer grow in your land for 5 years and then one day just decide to whack him and put him on the wall?? I don't see the point.

1. Plain and simple they were wrong for giving the feller a hard time on what he does.....some people hunt for meat some for horns....

Now to address the above quote.....It's really funny how you make it sound so simple...I understand some of you hunters here on this site can't and wont let a buck pass because somebody else will most certainly whack it...I can understand that. You simply have no idea how hard it is to to see a 120 inch 2.5 year old and pass him up just hoping he will make it another year, hope that another hunter wont make that harvest, hope that he wont get hit by a car, hope that he wont get poached, hope that mothernature dont take him, simple hope that you see him next year when he makes a mistake... If your lucky enough to play a chess match with all of those factors and your are LUCKY enough to see that same buck when he has grown to his full potential, and he does make a mistake during rut, you had better be ready to check mate...

It is more satisfiying than you can ever imagine to hunt a animal that you have watched and learned from(trust me that buck has learned from your mistakes as well) and be lucky enough to make that shot...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last year I shot my first buck ever. I shot it with a percussion muzzelloader. It was a 6 pt and to me a great trophy. I hope to take my first deer with a bow this year. Be it a doe, a button, or a monster, when it falls it will be a trophy to me. I hope I always feel this way.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Buckeye hunter, and I enjoy the woods way too much to shoot a young buck. That don't mean I think it's wrong for someone else to do it. If it makes them happy, I am happy.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. What is it that makes you feel better about killing a big racked buck? If it is the challenge of taking a uncommon, elusive animal that is harder to hunt and takes more time, skill, dedication, and luck to get........then why on earth would you want that task made easier by increasing the number of big bucks out there??
The answer to that question seems to be more elusive than da thirty point buck.

Atlasman , if you evercome toWisconsin give me a holler. We'll go out and get redeyed! The tab is on me!

Quick Reply: Couple questions for "Trophy" hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.