Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If this ever happn to you?

Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If this ever happn to you?

drifter just saying people claim there trophy hunters and if youve got 5 150s why not wait gun season will be coming up
Old 06-29-2005, 01:40 PM

I would take the 150 inch buck no doubt about it.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

First, I live in PA so a 150 class buck being seen in daylight on the last day of the season would not be standing at 20 yards very long before an arrow was on its way. Second, if I saw the second buck in PA I know that I'd been hunting too much that year and was hallucinating so I'd shoot the first buck hoping he was real.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

No question about it.
20 yards at the smaller one.

It would break my heart to take a pass on the biggie, but I wouldn't want to try to stretch that far when I've got a nearly sure kill right in front of me. Meat in the freezer and antlers to boot!Wouldnt want to try andwait out the big guy in hopes he'd come closer either. Don't have that kind of luck.

If the big one was alone, I'd wait for him to get closer anyway.
In a few more years when my kid is older and I have more time to practice at longer distances, I might consider changing my response, but think I'd still take the easy shot. I enjoy big antlers, and I dream of a big buck, but I'm out there for the meat and the thrill of the hunt.

-Bulz
Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, I've got a question. If you shot the 150 and saw the 20 pt, would you tell anyone about the 20 pt?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:56 PM

Id wait as long as possible, but when I think about it, when else might I get a shot at a 150" deer. DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have never had time to wait to hear the 2nd deer, the 150 would be shot 1st clear chance.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Default It happened to me but during gun season!

I was sitting on the ground all morning on public land.Some guys put a drive on and pushed some does.They were way out of range,even for my 30.06..
About 5 minutes after thedrivers came through I saw a6 point buck following them,he stopped and was standing broadside about 15 yards away.I put my sight right behind his shoulder but before I could pull the trigger a huge 12 point broke a branch off to my left.
I looked at him out of the corner of my eye without taking the gun off the first buck.He was also only about 15 yards away but he was looking right at me.I figured a sure shot was better than taking a chance trying to shoot the 12 point.
I'm glad I took the shot I had.If I turned to shoot the 12 point,I could have missed both.As it turned out I harvested a very nice 6 point!
Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 AM

Allseasonhunter7,
What makes you the ultimate trophy hunter? Last time I checked a 150" class buck was a trophy.
A majority of hunters believe the true trophy is being able to provide for your family. Do us a favor stick to your high fenced raised goats and 3D tournaments; leave the bowhunting to us big boys.