Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY Permanent Stand Designs

Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default DIY Permanent Stand Designs

Well my father and I are building about 4 more permanent stands on the family property. We did one this weekend that I am pretty pleased with, but it took about $150 between the2 dozen galvanized lag screws and being all pressure treated wood, and we haven't built the steps up to it yet or the railing I want on it. The stand is rather large and will have enclosed sides on it (p-treated plywood too), a tin roof, and measures 45" x 85". Next weekend I will head back down again and will finish the railing, steps, and roof.

I am curious as to other designs that people use or if there are sites out there that don't charge for plans that may cost a bit less. The one we built is really nice, but honestly I don't want to wrap up nearly $1000 in stands. For 150 per stand I could buy some pretty nice portables, they just wouldn't be as large.

Any ideas on designs that you guys have built? These are stands that would go in mature hardwoods, not a tripod style or anything like that.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM

Default RE: DIY Permanent Stand Designs

It sounds to me you are building something strong enough to park a car on.

It a deer stand. I build mine about 3 feet square, hand rail and no roof for about $50-60.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Sounds more like a blind than a stand. We built ours out of 2x4s and a peice of plywood. Cost about 50 bucks for two stands. They are about 15 ft high and 24" wide and 36" deep.

No roofs on ours.

Now we did build some blinds for during the winter. They are 4 foot by 4 foot and framed like house. they have a window in every wall, a small door and are on 13 foot 4x4's. They have shingled roofs and are air tight with sealable vents (keeps the bugs out during the summer). And have T-111 primered siding and ceder trim. We have heaters and swivel barstools in them.

I think they were like 350 in materials a piece, and we got a discount because one of us works at the lumber yard. They sure are nice when it's nasty out though.

Here is the blind:
Blind

From 80 yards out
This is where the deer usually jump the fence to cross the meadow.

View from the blind to my left

To the front

And to the right

Not exactly set up for a bow though, I use an inline ML out of that. And no I don't drive my car out there when I hunt. This was during the off season. I was either cleaning it out, or setting it up, I don't remember which.

Paul
Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome blind Paul! Care to share your plans?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, ours are a little overkill, but my dad and I wanted to build something that would still be around and safe for when I have kids. I guess the next ones don't need to be 85" though.....lol. Any plans you guys can share would be appreciated, always looking for a better mouse trap if you know what I mean.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Man I wish I could take credit for building that. There are three of us that hunt that property, and the owner of the property is a certified home builder, and the other guy used to do construction. They knew what they were doing, I pretty much just held things for them.

I can tell you that we prefabbed the walls, base and roof. Then took them to the location. We set the poles, and then later put the base on, then pushed up the walls one at a time, then the roof. It wasn't very easy, and they are some good sized boys. It was a long preject too, we pretty much just worked on sundays. We built the blinds during the winter, and the put them up the following summer. They are NOT LIGHT!

I might be able to take more pictures sometime if you would like. Like of the inside and closer ones. That is the best I can do. We thought about building a few extra and selling them, but didn't. I don't know if I could get him draw up some plans or not, he is pretty busy now.

And we are all named Paul and worked at the same factory in the same department. That was interesting to say the least.

I hunted mine during a sleet storm and the wind hit about 70 mile an hour I think. The only thing that happened was the windows fogged up and one of the windows leaked a little from the rain driving into it. Man was I glad I wasn't in a tree stand that day!

Not much like hunting though, more like snyper type stuff where I am set up.

Paul
Old 06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

My friend and I built 2 so far.No cost involved yet except for some fasteners.
The 4' by 4' frames were 2'' by 3" angle iron we found. I welded them together and bolted scrapped 2x6 treated deck boards to them.We fastened them into the crotch of a couple of oak trees about 15' up.
The ladders I built out of scrapped garage door channels.You know, the ones the rollers ride in and they have the 90 degree curve at the top.The rungs were cut out of more channels and welded to the upright channels.
We haven't built sides or roofs on them yet.We'll just hang some camo burlap on the sides until then.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had posted a nice diagram that I found in one of my hunting books. It illustrated how to put together what they called a "permanent portable" ladder stand. It isn't as big as what you are putting together but I believe it is alot less expensive to create. I will see if I can dig it up.