Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 06-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Why in the world should landowners pay the state for deer that are on their land. The landowner high fenced their land because that is their right, the deer just happened to be there, just like the trees, cactus, rocks, and rattlesnakes. Should the landowner be required to pay the state for these things to?
Hmm.. Why in the world should people have to buy hunting licenses? Maybe because you are hunting deer that belong to the state. If you take this attitude then why should you even follow hunting seasons? It your land, your deer and you have that right according to you.

Maybe because the state considers wildlife not to be privately owned.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

100 acres, thats just plain dangerous to hunt
LOL
Do you know how many millions of deer every year is shot on > 100 acre parcels of land ?I have 5 acres and plan to hunt it well this fall
I've hunted plenty of 400 acre parcels with as many as 10 hunters present with no concern . Know where your muzzle is pointing and where the next guy is . I live on 10 acres and plan to both bow and gun hunt it this year .The nearest house isat least 150 yards in any direction blocked bythick trees and understory .
Old 06-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: datamax

I have 5 acres and plan to hunt it well this fall.
Thats the reason hunting accident ratios are so much higher up north!!! I hope your not using a rifle or pistol!! Heck even with Archery gear you are taking a chance in having arrow make it off the property...
Old 06-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Masterblaster: The state of Texas is now considering new legislation that will seperate private deer ownership from state owned deer herds..... they will still have to follow state hunting regulations..
Old 06-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Datamax:

If your going to quote me on something, you better make sure you use the whole quote and not just pick and choose what you wont.

improve the bloodlines to strengthen the odds of getting huge racks
I made it very clear in my above post, that I have NEVER hunted on any ranch that has introduced bloodlines. VERY VERY few ranches in south Texas introduce bloodlines.

You provide them more food than they would evr get wild
Not all ranches provide supplemental feed. I dont use protein on my ranches, but I have hunted on several ranches that do. These are all self feed deals. The deer nibble on the stuff when they need to, its not like they lay under the feeder all day with there mouth open. We also dont "inject" them with anything if they want some protien then they walk over and get it.And I'm sure your not familiar with the habitat in south Texas because if you where then you would know that we have more food and nutrients per acre then anywhere else in the country. There is well over 50 different plants/shrubs/bushes in the region that is eatable to deer. And most all of this stuff is available to the deer year around except during the extreme drought years.

I have 5 acres and plan to hunt it well this fall.
It cracks me up that your against high fences yet you hunt on a 5 acre lot. How in the world is hunting on a 5,000 acre ranch "unethical" simply because it has a 7 foot fence unstead of a 4 footer, yet hunting an a 5 acre lot is ok. It makes no sense to me. It makes no sense to any clear thinking person.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Thats the reason hunting accident ratios are so much higher up north!!! I hope your not using a rifle or pistol!! Heck even with Archery gear you are taking a chance in having arrow make it off the property...
I could use a rifle or pistol ........ but I'm a bowhunter primarily. Taking a chance ? Everytime a person steps into the woods with a weapon theres a chance, isn't there ?

TXhighrack

improve the bloodlines to strengthen the odds of getting huge racks
Was that a partial quote taken out of context ? QDM is designed to remove inferior bucks - thus strenghening the bloodlines. Do you not agree ?

How in the world is hunting on a 5,000 acre ranch "unethical" simply because it has a 7 foot fence unstead of a 4 footer, yet hunting an a 5 acre lot is ok. It makes no sense to me. It makes no sense to any clear thinking person.
The deer I hunt are wild deer. No obstructing fences.

I'm NOT speaking out againt fenced ranches or areas. If the deer can cross the fence, no issues.

If its high fenced ? Its livestock as far as I'm concerned. Might be a big enough place the deer are wild anyway .......... but that would be a case by case issue to discuss.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:25 PM

Datamax:

The deer I hunt are wild deer. No obstructing fences.
WILD? How wild is a deer who lives his life in a part of the country that is covered in houses, shopping malls, and 5 acre lots that are owned by countless people? A deer living on a mulit-thousand acre piece of property, weather its high fenced or not, is a true WILD animal. That deer is living as wild and untamed as his descendents did thousands of years ago. His poor cousin who lives up state has to dodge traffic, highways, interstates, malls, wal-marts, subdivisions, humans, pets, and golf courses and cant cover 5 acres with out walking on another persons property. I'm sorry but that deer dosent sound wild at all. In your mind he might because thats your way of hunting and your use to it and you dont know any better. But come down to south Texas and book a hunt on a 10,000 acre ranch that is almost 100% untouched, you will learn what a wild deer really is and what a wild piece of land really looks like. Until then dont make comments on a topic that you know nothing about...........

I'm sure most on this site would agree.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:04 PM

ZOO'S
Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 PM

Holepuncher, your last post is one of the things that annoy me so about you "anti highfencers". You all never have any valid points to back up your beliefs. It seems like the anti high fencers say the same things over and over and make little one line comments which I guess are suppose to get under the other persons skin. Your really not much different then anti hunters like PETA and the HSUS in that you make up your mind on things based solely on your emotions and you try to push your beliefs and your way onto others. Some of you guys really need to broaden your horizens and get off the back 40 once in a while. Theres a big world out there and different hunting methods exist everywhere you go. You might not enjoy all of them, personally I dont care. I dont like or enjoy half the hunting methods that guys on forums like this one use, but I dont go around bad mouthing them or try to run them into the ground, unless they do it to me first then I'm simply defending myself. Now why dont some of you armchair commanders get off the computer and go out and experience anew hunting adventure.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

I think what most of the public sees on many television showsand some videos are hunters or "shooters" going on a ranch, having a guide take them to a spot to hide at, or climbing into a shooting tower and then taking their pick of many animals passing by.Almost all of these type of shows are done at high fenced ranches and its done simply because the footage would be easier to obtain. Nobody is going to watch a show when no animals are shown.Perhaps the public is being fooledby misconceptions on high fenced in areas.

TX, as far as public land being a zoo....I am not sure what type of public land you are talking about or where. Any and all public land that I am personallyfamiliar with is not connected anywhere near a populated area. The deer roam back and forthfrom the public land to neighboring private property where there is less hunting pressure in most cases. Even the private property that most hunters hunt on is tough hunting. There have been many times a buck I have been watching and hoping to get a shot at, crossed to property of which I didn't have permission so I just had to grit my teeth, hope and wait he would come by again. A zoo? I think not.

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.