Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 06-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

well tuffbroadhead im just goin off of personal experience that iv seen people do and herd of. and if u have the money to go out and spend like that then please ADOPT ME. cause i sure know that i have no wear near the money to spend like that. u know iv never bought camo in my life. i used an old pair of army pant camo. and some kind of mossy oak or realtree button up dress shirt with theprint on it that was my moms friend.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:15 PM

MasterBlaster:

I believe it is reallystealing from people if one fences of animals that are supposed to belong to the state. I also believe it should be illegal for people to sell deer that belong to the people of our state.

The state of Texas likes high fences, the Texas park & wildlife department encourages high fences. One of my ranches, a ranch that I hunt on, and 3 ranches that are owned by friends total about 57,000 acres. These ranches along with LOTS more in Texas are all enrolled in the MLD program. Becauseour ranch is high fenced (although low fenced ranches can also be enrolled) and since we have an approved management programour hunting season is almost 3 months longer then everybody elses. We are allowed to hunt with rifles in Sept. andour season for bucks closes in late Feb. High fenced ranches along with non-high fenced ranches can apply for all types of permits that helps to lengthen the season and helps to manage the property. High fences are notgoing anywhere, atleast not in Texas. There are to many around, big money is involved, and we have friends in high places.

If it were not for the states laws and protection(that is funded by tax dollars) deer would be non-existent.
That statement might have been some what vaild long ago, but it isint anymore. The Texas parks and wildlife department does very little when it comes to managing whitetail deer in Texas. Caring for the whitetail is left up to the private landowners in this state. The TP&W department only steps in when they are asked to do so by a private landowner. And no, your tax dollars dont do much when it comes to managing wildlife. About the only way your taxes help is when the state gives it to those private landowners to help them manage the wildlife.

From your post I'm guessing your from East Texas. I'm I right? It seems that hunters in that area of the state have the biggest problem with high fences. And its because of several different reasons. One thing that I've noticed is that hunting in East Texas and the hunters in East Texasare different then the hunting and the hunters in the other parts of the state. East Texas hunters are more like the hunters that you find in the eastern states. Hunters in the rest of the state, especially in south Texas, have their own style and are different then hunters just about anywhere. Our style is different, our deer are different, are methods are different, the land we hunt is different, and are mentality is different along with other things. These are just a few observations that I've noticed.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

That statement might have been some what vaild long ago, but it isint anymore.
If not for the tax money spent 30-50 years ago the deer would most likely be non-existent in Texas. Yes it is still valid. They used everyone’s tax dollars to restore the states deer population.

If you high fence and big ranch owners would have brought your own deer in and paid for them yourself I would have no problem with you fencing and selling. You guys are just turning deer hunting into a high priced cattle operation.

Yes I am form east Texas. I know for a fact we would have no deer in east Texas if not for the state tax dollars spent w few decades back. I know may older people that can remember the state releasing deer bank and instituting non hunting years to let the deer herd establish. You did not pay for that. If you high fence a deer you are trapping them and hogging them to yourself.

Yes you are right most of my buddies that I hunt with are much different form the south Texas hunter. Or the clients that pay the megabucks to kill the stolen deer of out state. I could afford to pay $7000 for a deer but would never do it. It would not be rewarding. I guess it is the fact that I work so hard when I do get one. We don’t have 15 deer run to the feeder every time it goes off. I’m not saying you guys don’t put in your time. Ill just agree we have a different way of hunting. I’m not also trying to down that type of hunting. I just don’t think its right for you to sell property of the Texasto others.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:22 PM

No they shouldnt be illegal. If they are there for research purposes only then I dont see why people would be wanting them gotten rid of, unless they are anti's LOL
Old 06-25-2005, 03:37 PM

MasterBlaster:

If not for the tax money spent 30-50 years ago the deer would most likely be non-existent in Texas. Yes it is still valid. They used everyone’s tax dollars to restore the states deer population.
Like I said in my first post, that tax dollars where used long ago to restore deer populations in parts of the state. But tax dollars arent used anymore. And deer poplutaions never had to be restored in south Texas, where high fences are common.

I know for a fact we would have no deer in east Texas if not for the state tax dollars spent w few decades back. I know may older people that can remember the state releasing deer bank and instituting non hunting years to let the deer herd establish.
One of the main reasons why east Texas had to be restocked with whitetails is because of the extreme poaching problems in the area. The east Texas residents brought it upon themselves. If it wasent for the poaching then restocking wouldnt have been necessary.

If you high fence and big ranch owners would have brought your own deer in and paid for them yourself I would have no problem with you fencing and selling.
Where not selling the states deer. We are selling access to step foot on our private property, killing a deer is just a bonus. If we want to charge $2,000-$20,000+ for access to hunt on our land, then thats our bussiness. You'll find that every well known ranch in south Texas is booked for this upcoming deer season, as they are for every season, no matter what they charge as an "access fee".

I just don’t think its right for you to sell property of the Texasto others.
The deer are not the property of Texas. And I've already covered this issue in my last post.

When it comes to high fences and big money spent on hunts, the Texas hunters who are againts it are generally guys who can not go on these hunts so they have the attitude that "since I cant, nobody else should either". Its really a ridicules way of thinking and dosent get much attention outside of their group of friends.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Im sorry but when you fence, manage, breed, feed, and protect deer they are no longer "wildlife" they are pets and or livestock. High fence operations breed deer like horse ranchers who want the next Kintuckey Durby winner. They only want larger antlers with a larger trophy fee. When you watch a hunting show on TV and they are sitting in an elivated rifle blind over alush green food plot with 15 deer running around and 8 of them are 8-14 point bucks (take your pick) that is not hunting, that is shooting. It really only benifites one person the guy collecting the check. The guy pulling the trigger would be just fine if he didn't make that hunting trip.

Putting up a chicken fence or cattle fence is nothing like a 10 ft high deer fence around 40-300 acres.

We have 100 acres worth about $350,0000 and we would not be very happy if some one put up a fence around 2 sides of it.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:14 PM

datamax, when you go chicken hunting with your own chickens you better make sure that PETA or the SPCA don't find out about it. You will find that your chicken hunt will cost you big bucks, same as hunting big game in fenced areas. Except your money will be in the form of fines not hunting fees.
Are you saying chickens cannot be raised and slaughtered for food ?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

datamax, i think he was trying to say dont get caught whacking them with your bow!!LOL
Old 06-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: i shoot stuff

well tuffbroadhead im just goin off of personal experience that iv seen people do and herd of. and if u have the money to go out and spend like that then please ADOPT ME. cause i sure know that i have no wear near the money to spend like that. u know iv never bought camo in my life. i used an old pair of army pant camo. and some kind of mossy oak or realtree button up dress shirt with the print on it that was my moms friend.
You have email little bro....
Old 06-25-2005, 04:44 PM

datamax, i think he was trying to say dont get caught whacking them with your bow!!LOL
Its legal to chop their heads off with an axe, but not to shoot them with a bow, is that right ? Or can I kill them quikcly and humanely any way I choose ?

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.