Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 06-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

This activity should be illegal. That's not hunting!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

(1)High fenced kills should not be allowed in any record books except for perhaps a high fenced record book.

By bad neighbors are you referring to trespassers or to neighbors that are enjoying killing the "public's" deer on their adjacent property, that perhaps you have been feeding? I have a differing opinon.......I believe it is to keep the deer in.
Fencing out bad neigbors: I was referring to trespassers and BAD neigbors..... when I spend the time to invest in the Public deer herd and I start to vastly improve it and My neigbor decides to ABUSE his public hunting privliges by starting a business of killing the Public deer to the tune of 30-40 hunters on the property when the local deer herd cannot substane that kind of harvest quota, other bad neigbors..... Most of the time down here hunters will start a management plan to grow big older bucks and pass on anything thats to young or not in the management plan that has been established, most of the hunters on ajacent proprerty's will do the same to help improve the herd also, THEN YOU HAVE THE BAD NEIGBOR, who dosent want to help and starts to reap the benifit of everybody else's hard work.....start the harvest good buck's, brings his buddy's and family over they kill good animals before you now it they harvest a entire age class of animals and throw the balance all out of wack, HE NEEDS TO GET FENCED OUT of the equation...
Old 06-25-2005, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: i shoot stuff

those closed in hunts are for the people that go out spend over 1000 dollars on equipment. no nothing about hunting put others in danger shoot at animals to far away wound them but dont go look for it. and get mad if they dont get something and quit hunting. or there the onese that spend all the money no nothing go in smelling like " spring air dried" detergent and bag one of the biggest bucks you and i have ever seen. then say they are the best hunter in the world. i personally beleive it's bull crap. i also feel the same way about baiting its bull also. i will never buy tinks or anything like that.
Dude you are so off based you are not even on the planet!!

"1000 dollars on equipment" dang you just eliminated of a 95 percent of the prople on this site...... 500-700 bow, 100 sight, 100 arrow rest, 50 release,100 in arrows just to start, 50 stablizer, 30 bucks for broadheads, 50 bucks for a cheap bowcase, lets say you want new camo 200, how bout a new tree stand 200 plus...

HOLY SMOKE, IF OUR WIVES DID SOME ADDING THEY WOULD FENCE US IN!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 05:41 AM

We don't have many high fenced areas here in Missouri
Really ? I bet you got more than what you think !

This activity should be illegal. That's not hunting!
No, its not hunting, but that alone should not make it illegal. I'm going to raise some chickens and kill them to eat - and I'm going to use my bow and get some good practice in. Not hunting .......... but legal. Right ? Why can't I do the same with deer ? Or let someone pay me to come do the same ?

Old 06-25-2005, 06:29 AM

Man,this is a delicate one!
Like a lot of you have said we have enough laws and I also don't believe this practice should be illegal.I see a big difference between the examples of fenced in large tracts in Texas and purposely designed small enclosures where the animals don't stand a chance.While the Texas type experience is not something that I would choose to do,I have a great respect for their management practices.Had I grown up in that environment and with the consideration that there is so little public land I perhaps would have a different take on it.
My biggest fear is public perception of the small enclosure type operations.The guaranteed kill stuff bugs the heck out of me.That is not hunting it is purely killing and any person that participates in that type of thing is putting all of us at risk of losing our hunting freedoms.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

datamax, when you go chicken hunting with your own chickens you better make sure that PETA or the SPCA don't find out about it. You will find that your chicken hunt will cost you big bucks, same as hunting big game in fenced areas. Except your money will be in the form of fines not hunting fees.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead

Fencing out bad neigbors: I was referring to trespassers and BAD neigbors..... when I spend the time to invest in the Public deer herd and I start to vastly improve it and My neigbor decides to ABUSE his public hunting privliges by starting a business of killing the Public deer to the tune of 30-40 hunters on the property when the local deer herd cannot substane that kind of harvest quota, other bad neigbors.....
It sounds to me that a fence should not be illegal, but claiming the publics property as your own is another issue. Do we, when we buy our tags, pay just for the public land or are ther critters part of it? If they aren't, then no one should mind if I trap some and use my tag on it when the season roles around. Look at it this way, if a public library was some how found on your property do you think you could fence it in? If a person wants to improve their property for any reason, so be it (the tax man loves it) but to then keep the critters is a form of poaching (just a legal definition and not implying anything about any ones charector) in my book, unless you have a licences to keep captive wild game. As long as fenced outfits cator to people in possitions of power they should be fine, if not, I think the knife will be coming from this direction.

Unless you have balls of steel

you might want to invest in some iron underwear before the day comes.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:35 AM

Doesn't sound like hunting to me.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Texas wild white tail deer are considered public property. If I put up a high fence around wild deer and keep them away from the public am I steeling? The public doesn't have access to caged wild deer and therefore they are not public property anymore.
This is the first thing that came to mind for me. I believe it is reallystealing from people if one fences of animals that are supposed to belong to the state. I also believe it should be illegal for people to sell deer that belong to the people of our state. This trend is really restricting hunting from the common man. It’s all turned into money making. It is getting harder for the average income guy to have a place to hunt. People are charging more and more to hunt on their property. I have a friend that lost a 90 member 12,0000 acre hunting club that his family had been in for 30 years. The paper company put the club up for bidding and they got way outbid. I think soon it will be that only the wealthy will be able to hunt. Look at the high fence ranches.. These guys go in and pay 5-7K for a trophy deer. That deer is supposed to be the property of the state. The state made laws to protect them. The state stocked them in many places. IMO this IS stealing public property. You pay for these deer when you purchase a hunting license. I equate this with going to a public park and stealing a picnic table then selling it.

It should not be legal. It’s the same idea as someone thinking they do not have to buy a hunting license because they are hunting on their land. Those deer are not theirs they are the property of the people of Texas. If it were not for the states laws and protection(that is funded by tax dollars) deer would be non-existent.

While I am on my soap box. IMO it is not hunting when someone goes to one of these big ranches and sits in a big shooting house, waits for the feeder to go off and picks out one of the 10 deer that run out to eat. I just can’t see that as being rewarding to me. I get much satisfaction by going out finding a spot, getting to know the environment and learning how to get close enough to kill a free ranging animal. That is hunting. Going to a stand you have never seen in your life sitting in a big shooting house drinking coffee is just killing.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Legally the deer belong to the "people of the state", thats the way it was worded long ago to keep everybody happy. But ethically and if you use alittle common sense you will see that the wildlife dosent "really" belong to the people, nor should it. The people of the state do not want anything to do with the wildlife except when it comes time to benefit from it. The landowners, especially in Texas, are the sole providers for the wildlife. They feed it, they water it, they protect it, and they should reap the benefits from it. When I drive around one of my ranches and I see deer running around, those deer are mine byall practical sense. To think those deer also belong to some gang memeber in downtown Houston, or some soccer mom in Austin just because those people happen to live in the same state is nonsense. One day the state of Texas will make whitetails private property and the deer will belong to whom evers land it is standing on at the time in question. Then we will all be happy.........

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.