Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 06-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

I have seen this debate on internet sites and there is always a ugly dividing line ....

I agree with Txhighrack, things like high fences have been around for a long long time, sometimes there are different reasons for high fences to be put up, Here's one reason, you take someone like me that works my but off on improving the deer herd and I have 1000 or more acres and I have a bad neigbor that knows what I'm doing and starts to bring in 30-40 hunters a year and starts to profit off of all my hard work, guess what he is about to get!!!! Fenced out!! Sometimes its about bad hunters, sometimes its about herd management, its the property owners choice.

Now for what I think is right, I dont have a probelm with high fences what I have a probelm with is SMALL ranchs putting up high fences, I personally think there should be a limit on the acreage before you can put up a high fence. I personally hunt on a high fenced ranch a couple times a year that consists of 14,250 acres and was fenced in 1982. Are the deer easier to hunt, NOPE!!!and anybody that thinks they would be is misinformed. And the owners work there butt's off improvong the herd and manageing the land and cattle...

Heres a old saying from the ranch manager of the Famous Briscoe-Catarina ranch, " I did'nt put up high fences to keep the deer in, I put them up the keep the bad neigbors out"...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:49 PM

So those of you who think that high fences should not be illegal wouldn't be very upset if you spent $2000-$5000 per acre on a beutiful piece of hunting property only to have the neighbor put a high fence up on one, two, or three sides of you dropping your property value and ruining your hunting, for which you purchased the property?
That is their right to do it . and they do it in Texas all the time and have some of the finest hunting in the world.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

So those of you who think that high fences should not be illegal wouldn't be very upset if you spent $2000-$5000 per acre on a beutiful piece of hunting property only to have the neighbor put a high fence up on one, two, or three sides of you dropping your property value and ruining your hunting, for which you purchased the property? That wouldn't bother some of you? What if your neighbor wanted your piece of property so he high fences 2 or three sides of you so that you have to sell it to him and buy a piece some place else? I know someone this happend to.
Dang exspensive dirt!!! 2000-5000 per acre let me guess , your not going to buy enough to hunt on for that price per acre....

Old 06-24-2005, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

Dang exspensive dirt!!! 2000-5000 per acre let me guess , your not going to buy enough to hunt on for that price per acre....
Misread the response.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not for me but I refuse to tell some other its not for them . To each there own.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Its not for me but I refuse to tell some other its not for them . To each there own.
I normally go with that too ........... however, I believe few non-hunters agree with the concept of raising deer in a pen and then allowing people to pay high prices to shoot them for their horns.

Thats not Hunting .......... and in my opinion it will destroy what Hunting is within 2-3 decades. Its already hugely popular with folks who got a lot of money, want big antlers on their walls and don't want to put any work into it.[]
Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 PM

those closed in hunts are for the people that go out spend over 1000 dollars on equipment. no nothing about hunting put others in danger shoot at animals to far away wound them but dont go look for it. and get mad if they dont get something and quit hunting. or there the onese that spend all the money no nothing go in smelling like " spring air dried" detergent and bag one of the biggest bucks you and i have ever seen. then say they are the best hunter in the world. i personally beleive it's bull crap. i also feel the same way about baiting its bull also. i will never buy tinks or anything like that.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:35 PM

i shoot stuff:

I hunt high fenced ranches and I'm sorry, but I dont fit either one of your definitions nor do any of my buddies or clients that I know who also hunt high fenced properties. Your post is full of nonsense.......
Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 PM

We don't have many high fenced areas here in Missouri but I've been hunting in Texas and hunting behind a fence is not a big deal. Just like Cardeer stated, when hunting multi thousand acre ranches, most deer never see a fence.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

(1)High fenced kills should not be allowed in any record books except for perhaps a high fenced record book.

By bad neighbors are you referring to trespassers or to neighbors that are enjoying killing the "public's" deer on their adjacent property, that perhaps you have been feeding? I have a differing opinon.......I believe it is to keep the deer in.

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.