Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Old 06-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

..... hurry up. Make up your mind, what do you want...
I don't know, there's always so much to choose from...
It's the same menu they had last time we were here, jeeze, come one, come on...

Good morning, welcome to McPicken Shoot.
Would you like to try our McMulely today?

No no, just hang on a minute.

I'll have two number 78's an order of hog fries and two dietCokes please.

Oh oh and make that to go, we don't have much time to sit around gawking. I've got to be back in the office early. Could you have the delivery boy show up right before lunch with our trophys please.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am shocked from some of the posts in this thread. High fence hunters and all the "average joes and bubbas" will never see eye to eye we all already know and understand this.

I would stop hunting before taking up the views of highrack and others like him. Your logic is downright scary.

About the high fences I agree they should not be illegial. I also choose not to hunt in them. You do your thing I'll do mine.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Tuffbroadhead
100 acres???? curious how many people hunt on a 100 acres, gun or bow??
I've hunted areas where I can legally discharge a bow that are less than 25.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:55 AM

In response to various previous posts ...

Since when does putting a fence around property change attempting to harvest a deer from hunting to not hunting ?

An animal's ability to elude the hunter is not necessarily compromised by having that animal confined within an enclosure.

All facilities are not alike, thus one should not judge such facilities and how they operate as a whole based upon those such as that which happened recently involving a single facility in Indiana.

To those opposed to high fence operations.

While I would certainly take a stand against someone putting a tame deer from a petting zoo in a 30 by 50 ft pen, have somebody shoot it, and call it hunting, many facilities involve more than what be necessary to meet the requirements for fair chase, which is often the key argument against such facilities.

Any implimentation which can increase a persons chances of success poses the risk of being judged as taking away from what might be considered as " fair chase ".

If you choose not to participate in a high fence hunt ... FINE
But please don't take away from those that do, or put them down.

Anti hunting factions are out there to END ALL HUNTING. If you think they will stop their attacks after hunting methods which you feel do not construe fair chase are eliminated, THINK AGAIN !!!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:47 AM

Datamax, of course my post sicken you...you dont understand it. Its the way it is, you only see your side. Im not going to persuade you, so theres no need to continue that way, sorry.
I understand it all too well I'm afraid ..........

You cannot tell a guy WHY he should hunt, or what he should percieve.You cannot tell a guy what is or isnt a trophy. To some extent you cannot determine for him what constitutes fair chase. Sometimes it just aint fair, but it is what it is.
And in most cases if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ........ its a duck.

And if it looks like canned shooting (hunting), sells like canned shooting (hunting) , and its advertised like canned shooting (hunting) ? Its canned shooting.

We are all brothers in that we have a shared hunting heritage, yet we fight amongst ourselves. First we were all the bad guys when we wanted to use compound bows, and the "purists" hated us. How soon we forget! Now we fight about baiting. We fight about hunting with dogs. We fight about crossbows. Ask folks in Europe how much of a PRIVELEDGE it is to be able to hunt.
We fight and argue and debate the things that make a break our sport. Compounds have had a huge impact (negative and positive) towards bowhunting. So too have crossbows. High fenced areas are no different. Funny you mention Europe ....... only the wealthy hunt there on private grounds and Hunting is a thing of the past to 99% of the population. Is that what ya'll want ??

Jack Ryan - hurry up and shoot, they got your Credit card already scanned and ready to bill direct and you can take the horns home tonight and brag about how hard the Hunt was.

An animal's ability to elude the hunter is not necessarily compromised by having that animal confined within an enclosure.
It certainly matters, and not only that, the deer become very dumbed down when they aren't hunted to ammount to anything. Its easier - the great EASY revolution that Bowhunting and Hunting in general has become []

If you choose not to participate in a high fence hunt ... FINE
But please don't take away from those that do, or put them down.

Anti hunting factions are out there to END ALL HUNTING. If you think they will stop their attacks after hunting methods which you feel do not construe fair chase are eliminated, THINK AGAIN !!!
Sorry, nope, can't do that. Why ? Its the enemy within, thats why. I will not, can not, side with something that I think and feel is wrong simply because that thing is mistakening called and grouped with the hunting that I know and love.

canned high fenced areas are NOT hunting, never will be. Its shooting, killing, harvesting ........ call it what you want be there aint no "hunting" involved.

Huge Texas ranches ? Different story. Huge Kansas or Colorado or midwest cattle farms ? Different - but not canned. Whats the magical acreage that constitutes canned from not-canned ? It has no black and white numbers, but it can be identified.

You gotta look at the pro's and con's of something like this, how it effects ALL hunting and take that into account. Its my view that high fenced canned 'hunting" destroys the very fabric of what hunting is. They should NOT be allowed to be called or advertised as "hunting" - because they are not
Old 06-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tim4Trout

All facilities are not alike, thus one should not judge such facilities and how they operate as a whole based upon those such as that which happened recently involving a single facility in Indiana.
I agree to a point, all hunting is not done from a stand. How would it be if the deer were driven into a corner? Many hunters form a drive and hunt that way. Indians used a form of enclousure to hunt (cliffs).

I'm with you. Anti hunters, (i.e. a person who is against any form of legal hunting that quickly and humanly takes a animal) are a pest.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM

Nodog, in all fairness, native americans were procuring game, or food as a neccessity, so the boxed in massacres of animals were practical, and not what we are as sport hunters. Legit point, just not valid for this exchange, Im thinking.

Data, people like you see it only as you do. Im not going to attempt to change your mind. You take my points and read not what my point is, but rather your alternatives. Enjoy your form of hunting, I hope its always available for you.

Guys, there will be enclosure hunting long after all the available land is bought or developed or closed to free hunting. In the meantime, enjoy the way you have it. It truly IS a priviledge to hunt, not a right.

While horse farms try to breed and cross to create that special animal that outperforms the others, to earn stud fees, semen sales, and a purchase price, so does the folks raising cattle. Better milkers, better laying chickens, better meat yeilding animals, even goat farmers want the best milk for cheese. Deer, the ones we bought from captivity, are our domestic livestock, and we too are raising them for performance. Once theyve produced their offspring, collected semen, sold the photos, ( a couple of mine also are used for taxidermy training) and sold the shed antlers, the last usage is that animal itself. I for one am not ashamed of it. Im in awe of all of what a whitetail can be and how it does so in captivity as well as in the wild. Even if wild these days isnt always countless acres of Texas or prairies of Kansas or standing timber in Saskatchewan, or even a small pocket of locust trees and briars in urban NJ.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:45 AM

Nodog, Im sorry, after re-reading your post, I see in what context you made mention of the indian hunt. Again, my mistake, I misread your point. -Bill Yox
Old 06-27-2005, 10:02 AM

Bill Yox - the thought of growing large antlered bucks to make money off of and calling it Hunting makes my want to puke all over my computer. THAT is going to be the death of Hunting .......... thanks for throwing gas on the fire buddy [:'(]
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 PM

Man is this old
It seems like there is only one site that doesnt bring this kind of baiting on and I am not going to mention which one that is , for fear that I would have to leave there

Quick Reply: Should high fence deer pens be illegal???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.