Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

only if something is amiss, or I am about ready to get down, squirrel is in season and one has been bugging me. I should've done a practice shot after my bow came off the pull rope this past season. about five mins left in the day and a good size doe is coming my way, of course she is taking her sweet time. finally she gives me a beautiful broadside shot at like ten yards. she mule kicks and disappears at the shot. the arrow STINKS. later I found out that the fall knocked the sights way left, causing me to shoot way left. I got lucky and she didn't go far suffering a mortal liver and one lung hit.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 AM

I do not take practice shots from my stand. I will practice the day before. If I did take practice shots and miss, it would ruin my hunt. I would be wondering if my sight was knocked around on the trip up.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a field tipped arrow with me for this reason.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

only if something is amiss, or I am about ready to get down, squirrel is in season and one has been bugging me. I should've done a practice shot after my bow came off the pull rope this past season. about five mins left in the day and a good size doe is coming my way, of course she is taking her sweet time. finally she gives me a beautiful broadside shot at like ten yards. she mule kicks and disappears at the shot. the arrow STINKS. later I found out that the fall knocked the sights way left, causing me to shoot way left. I got lucky and she didn't go far suffering a mortal liver and one lung hit.
I've got to admit, I've had squirrels moving all around me before and have drawn on them, but restrained myself before I released.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Just as an added attraction, put a small amount of whatever scent you may be using on the fletching to give another source of attraction, and cover your human scent on the arrow you now put right at a deer's nose level.!! I have on occasion taken a target arrow in my quiver, picked out an old stump or very visible leaf at what I think isa set distance and then used the shot to determine distance and judgement.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I only draw my bow and slow release it a few times every hour and at the beginning and during my hunt. this keeps me warmed up and ready to go.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Never. Only pull my bow back to loosen up and practice different positions. Oh ya, and to kill game!
Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 PM

Nope. No matter how hard you try, you are going to leave some of you on the arrow, and then put it within shooting distance of you stand for deer to smell when they get close.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:47 PM

I agree with danowak,
I don't want any possibility of human odor to be out in an area where I anticipate seeing deer.I will draw and let down every so often to keep myself loose.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

After I set up a stand location in the summer I take some practice shots out of it at a foam block I carry with me into the woods. I do not think I have ever taken any practice shots from a stand while I was hunting out of it.

Quick Reply: Do you take a practice Shot in the stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.