Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you start shooting broadheads?

Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 PM

Default When do you start shooting broadheads?

I shot my broadheads the other day and was thinking about shooting them from here on out for at least the rest of the year. I was wondering if you guys are already shooting broadheads. It was a good feeling seeing those broadheads hitting the spot knowing they were meaning business.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Default RE: When do you start shooting broadheads?

I shoot my broadheads from August till the end of hunting season. I am on vacation until August, so I cannot do it any sooner. This year I think I willstart shooting my broadheads on Augustfirst and shoot themfor a few days to get them in tune, then shoot with field tips. I willshoot withbroadheads every other dayjust to practice.I will completely change to broadheads about one month before season, Setember 15th.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right about now until the end of the season. I am trying out the new Crossfires right now, so far they are flying like darts.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot on occasion all year long as a tune check. If my broadheads are impacting at the same point as my field tips, I know my bow is still at its peak in tuning and the arrows are at their optimal speed and are flying perfectly.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot them any more than I have to, they tear up my target. I'll get my BH & FP hitting the same location, then just practice with FP. Probably only the last week or so and then during the season will it be BH exclusively. BUT I do make sure I have an accurate head and arrow combination. Never would I screw one on and be good to go, it must be shot first, then new blades put in.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 AM

I have to ditto what rybo said. I get them dialed in early and then periodically check them to make sure all is good and nothing has changed on my bow. If the bow comes out of tune it generally will be magnified in the flight of broadheads.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

When shooting my hunting bow, I only shoot broadheads. UNLESS I am going to shoot into a target that won't handle broadheads.

I'll shoot my recurve/longbow with field points/judos...but never my hunting bow unless I make changes and have to "dial" her close.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will normally shoot broadheads when initially tune the bow but then not again until August at the earlies (Bowhunting starts Oct. 1st here).
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I know what my broadheads do, so I don't know that I will shoot them this year. I haven't changed anything in my set up that would affect that. I have been thinking of going to the tekan II though. I will start to shoot them in about a month
Old 06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll shoot them occasionally during the year, usually if I change something in my setup. Otherwise I wait until a few weeks before season starts.

Quick Reply: When do you start shooting broadheads?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.