Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this what we are heading towards?

Old 06-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this what we are heading towards?

Looks like a novelty item to me. Reminds me of the crossbow pistols , dime a dozen , and good for sh**!

Arthur

Love your signature!!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:09 AM

I pity you, SA, because you will never get to experience the kind of bowhunting that I once knew
Tell us what it was like if you don't mind
Old 06-24-2005, 08:12 AM

I saw a bow at Cabela's here in PDC, made by Hickory Creek Archery, 22" ATA. I think Wisconsin law may prohibit bows under 30" ATA for being used for hunting purposes, although i could be wrong.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sure they also remember the days when someone actually had to accomplish something before he could feel proud of himself.
Arthur P...I disagree with you on a lot of things, but that statement is nothing but 100% true. Today's mentality with EVERYTHING in life is that right there. There are so many that have everything handed to them on a plate and assume that's the way it should be. And I'm not talking about the rich living on "old" money. It's most everyone and partially including myself. I grew up on a dairy farm(small family farm) and I know what a hard days work is, but nothing like my grandpa who started the farm and didn't have all of the equipment we did. Sit down sometime and listen to the older generation, the ones that lived in the 30's and 40's and the awesome stories they have. Living out of the garden because that's all they could afford and eating some meat was a luxury. Bustin their nutz for .50 and were happier than heck. Today's society is weak. Mentally and physically. True fact, but sad. Most piss and moan about most everything and cry about a hard days work. Most none of us will ever know what an actual hard days work is like the older generation did. This isn't a slam on anyone specific by no means...just a general statement and a spin off of what Arthur said.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pity you, SA, because you will never get to experience the kind of bowhunting that I once knew. Of course, you won't understand and think I'm being a smart@$$, but I'm actually being sincere.
lol, Arthur you are wasting your time if you are pittying me because I couldn't be happier. I LOVE the way I bowhunt and I don't have any desire to go back to yesteryear. I like it exactly as it is. I feel sorry for you that all you can do is dwell on how it use to be rather than seizing the present. While you are out there complaining about this and that, I am going to be out hunting with my high fangled compound and having a BLAST and if the trend continues, killing lots of game to boot. You have convinced yourself that the only way for anyone to have fun and enjoy their hunting is if they do it exactly the way you do it. I am sure for you the old days were the best and shooting trad is the only way etc. but I am not you and I guarantee you that I can have just as much fun and just much enjoyment and just as much fulfillment by doing things my way as you can by doing it yours. I don't feel the need to dictate for others what should be enjoyable or rewarding to them. We are all different folks that take pleasure in doing different things (that's why we have so many different sports and hobbies in this country).

We used to look at all new products with one thought: Is it good for archery and bowhunting?
That's the way it should be and the way that is done is by letting the entire hunting population decide for themselves. As much as you may argue to the contrary you are not qualified to make that decision for EVERYONE! The hunting public has the right to decide for themselves whether or not something is good for bowhunting.

Now there are guys like you who's first question is: Why do you guys care?
see the above reply

I'm sure they also remember the days when someone actually had to accomplish something before he could feel proud of himself
I for one don't have to accomplish anything to be proud of myself. I don't bowhunt as an ego boost or to boost my self esteem. But why should everyone have to use your measuring stick to determine weather or not they should be proud of their animal? Fortunately, for us we don't all live by the laws of Arthur and we are capable of determining for ourselves what we want to be proud of. It's different for all of us and we don't want to have it dictated to us. If you don't respect the accomplishment of other hunters then that is certainly your perogative and even understandable but as much as you may want to you are never going to be able to dictate for others what they should and shouldn't be proud of and good Lord willing you won't be able to dictate how they hunt.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:39 AM

I like it exactly as it is.
So you'll not be in favor of any more technological advances in modern archery I take it ?

The hunting public has the right to decide for themselves whether or not something is good for bowhunting.
I disagree. The state G&F must decide, because if the populace is allowed to, we'd decimate the deer herds with unregulated killing and slaughter. Its human nature to search and destroy

Silentassassin - have you ever gun hunted ? Killed a deer with a gun ? Was it everybit the same challenge as your compound deer kills ? Why or why not were the archery kills ...... harder ?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you'll not be in favor of any more technological advances in modern archery I take it ?
I think you failied to comprehend the statement. I said I like it as it is right now. Right now there are technilogical advances that I can either choose to use or not touse. Right now I very much enjoy hunting with my compound. I don't care that there aren't just 3 other guys in the county that bowhunt like it was back then. I like the fact that there are more deer now than ther were then. I like climbing treestands. I like A/C/C's. I like the advancements that have been made in hunting clothing. I like killing big deer. I like killing my limit every year.In other words I like the way things are right now.

disagree. The state G&F must decide, because if the populace is allowed to, we'd decimate the deer herds with unregulated killing and slaughter. Its human nature to search and destroy
Brad, I think you're smart enough to know that I did not mean that the public should blanketly make the decisions for the G&F but I'll play along. The gist of my post was geared toward gear which was the topic of the post (incase you missed it). When it comes to things like let off, crossbows, and other equipment choices, the hunting public as a whole should have more input than a few hardcore traditional zealots.

Silentassassin - have you ever gun hunted ? Killed a deer with a gun ? Was it everybit the same challenge as your compound deer kills ? Why or why not were the archery kills ...... harder ?
Ok, I will keep playing. Yes, I have gun hunted. Yes I have killed many deer with guns. No, it wasn't as challenging TO ME (that's the part that you all seem to leave out). I have my own preferences and that's all they are. Just because something is more gratifying for me doesn't mean it is for everyone. I have told this over and over but I will throw it in again. I have a friend that is an excellent hunter and he absolutely honest to goodness down deep in the bottom of his heart makes no distinction between a gun kill and a bow kill. To him the gun kill is just as gratifying as the bow kill. That's just how he is made. I'll let you try and tell him that heis prouder of thebow kill than the gun kill because he doesn't knowMe, I am different but I also realize that because I take more gratification in something doesn't mean that everyone does. For me it's about killing the game. I personally like the added challenge of having to get close with a bow but I think it's stupid to limit yourself that much. Some guys have the same attititude about hunting with compounds and as I said before I can understand having that attitude. I am just intelligent enough to realize that just because I feel that way doesn't mean I should force feed it to everyone else.

Why or why not were the archery kills ...... harder ?
I am not going to waste either one of our time answering that because you know the answers as well as I do. You have evaluated that as I have and we have both made our own decisions based on that. Contrary to your belief the fact that you choose to go trad (when it's conveinient[:-]) doesn't make you superman
Old 06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Hardcore traditional zealot." SA, I might have been offended if I didn't know that comment came from a "hardcore techie zealot."[8D]

You might be suprized to learn that I'm not considered traditional by many other traditional shooters, not traditional at all, because I also own and use compounds and crossbows. Also, there are guys out there that don't consider a bow constructed with man made materials to be traditional. To them, a compound simply does not qualify as archery at all. Some flatly refuse to use the term 'traditonal'. They are simply archers and shoot archery with their bows made from all natural materials. They call the ones who use laminated glass and wood bows 'plywood benders' and say guys with compounds are engaging in an entirely different activity they term 'mechanist archery.'

Those are the guys I call "hardcore tradtional zealots" and they are proud to be called that.

How would you reconcile your no-holds-barred, unlimited technology vision of the future of bowhunting, including the blanket legalization of crossbows, with their point of view?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

How would you reconcile your no-holds-barred, unlimited technology vision of the future of bowhunting, including the blanket legalization of crossbows, with their point of view?
That's the whole point Arthur. I shouldn't have to defend my position to other hunters nor reconcile it. We should have enough respect for the other's passion to support their right to choose the type of equipment that they prefer. Neither group should be able to tell the other how they should have to hunt, nor should they want to.. That's the whole point. But you hear 95% of this type of talk coming from the trads not the techies.