Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I done the dumbest thing ever while shooting a bow today...

Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I done the dumbest thing ever while shooting a bow today...

My cousin had got new Cobra sites last night and we were trying to get it dialed in. He got 10 yards sited in, and I said, "let me give it a try" I just wanted to see how his bow shot. So, I put his release on, and get all set up. I draw back, get into my form, release, and thats when it happens. The bow jumps out of my hand, lands on the bottom cam, bounces about a foot high and lands on its right side on the quiver. When I shoot I dont close my hand after the shot, and his bow didnt have a wrist strap, and I never gave that little detail a thought. The bow just went right past my fingers and right to the ground. Luckily nothing was hurt, just a little dirt in the cam is all. I thought I bent the cam, and broke his brand new sights and quiver. I was this [] close to crapping my pants right there. []
Old 06-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Default RE: I think I done the dumbest thing ever while shooting a bow today...

My buddy was in my basement and wanted to shoot my new bow one morning. I told
him to try it but hold on to it because I had no strap on it. On the shot I heard my bow
bouncing off the concrete. It made me sick. A new bow, only days old and now the
bottom cam was all nicked up and there was a chunk out of the top limb. Needless to say
he ending buying the bow off me. Then, a few years later he pulled back a Mathews
Conquest I bought with his fingers and when letting up he dry fired the bow and
it also flew from his hand onto his concrete floor! He forgot to put his hand into the
wrist strap! He bought that one also. No lie, true story. He does not draw my bows anymore!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:33 AM

Forgot to add, yes it can happen to anyone, just make sure when it does you
are out in the grass and not on a concrete floor!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

glad noone was hurt. When i first started to shoot my bow, i always worried it going to slip out of my hand and whack me in the face when i had it drawn. I'm too ugly for it to really matter anyway
Old 06-19-2005, 05:21 AM

i've done it. i was installing a set of strings/cables on a parker 35 and went to shoot it a few times. no wrist strap. i was completely unprepared for the jump a parker takes on release. had to buy the fellow a new arrow rest. somehow the mounting bracked broke in half.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:25 AM

I did the same thing a bunch of years ago. I had an old Browning that I gave to my brother. We were shooting off a deck that is about ten feet off the ground.I was shooting my new bow and my brother the old Browning. For posterities sake, I wanted to shoot the old Browning. Put an arrow on, drew back and let her fly. The bow jumped right outof my hand and landed on the ground ten feet down. My brother looked at me like I was useless. Heck, I taught him to shoot for crumps sakes. Yes, I felt like an idiot! Nothing happened to that anchor of a Browning though.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

To make light of a crappy situation , at least you have good consistant follow through on your shot execution.
I see alot of people start with an open grip when shooting , but end up with a closed grip by the time the arrow is leaving the bow.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 AM

Happened to me also....as I was sighting in the 40 and 50 meter pins. I was shooting 3 arrow groups all session.....until that one last arrow of the day. I thought, last arrow, I won't need to use my bow strap.....yep, the bow blew forward and bounced....of all the bad luck.....on a single line of bricks on the ground. Dented the bottom cam...no other damage, thank God.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:42 AM

My neighbor dropped mine first TWO time he shot it.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know the feeling well. I was in a 3-d shoot in fla and it wasa hot and sweaty day, It was my turn to shoot as my group was waiting each others turn, as I approached full draw my BlackWidow that has a magnesium riser,slip from my hand and came back and hit me back into my face, I fell down to my knees and saw stars, but I tried to act like it didn't hurt but the embarresment about killed me.[]My friends down there still remind me about it to this day. I just tell them, I don't remember. Bobby

Quick Reply: I think I done the dumbest thing ever while shooting a bow today...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.