Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Leech Users?

Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 PM

Default String Leech Users?

I installed Sims String Leeches on the bowstring of my Mathews Q2 but noticed little if any reduction in string noise!

For those of you who use Sims String Leeches: What type of bow do you have? Where on the string did you install your string leeches? Did you put them closer to the middle of the string and the nock or out closer to the axles? I think the type of string and location on the string may be an important factor in the performance of the string leeches! Some swear by the leeches, while others curse them. There's got to be a logical explanation for this! Could it just be a defective batch of string leeches?
Old 09-20-2002, 11:49 PM

Default RE: String Leech Users?

I am not an expert by any means, but I can try to answer your questions with my observations.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>What type of bow do you have?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I have string leeches installed on my Buckmaster HyperTech. I don't know if it will help you, but I also have the split-limb limbsavers installed.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Where on the string did you install your string leeches?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I don't have my bow or my notebook handy, so I can't give you any exact measurements. I can say that the leeches are located as far out on the bowstring as I could get them. I have not tried moving the positions around to see if I gained or lost a lot of noise.

Like yourself, I did not really notice an extreme change in noise. Actually, I noticed no change. I decided to conduct the two &quot;tests&quot; below. Both were conducted with and without the limb savers and string leeches installed.

I figured that being right there on top of the bow, you just didn't notice a change. I had my dad shoot my rig and I stood about ten foot off to the side. The noise was reduced considerably, compared to the setup without the noise/vibration reduction equipment.

On a second test, I wanted to see if the downrange noise would be reduced. Before trying the first test with the simms products, I did the following. I went 20 yards downrange and concealled myself behind a brick wall (the corner off the house). This position put me about 3.5 to 4 foot from the path of the arrow. I know muzzys are tough and carbon shafts are pretty dang durable, but was willing to bet they weren't going to penetrate a brick and cinderblock wall. From this position, the release was not very loud. After installing the the SIMMS products, the release was almost inaudible.

Was it dumb luck or does the noise reduction work that way? I don't know, all I know is what I observed.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)

Edited by - Silens_Venator on 09/21/2002 00:56:13
Old 09-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

i hear that the break after a while
Old 09-21-2002, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

They are on my HCA Ultra Pro and they made a little differance but not much.

The split limbsavers however made a HUGE reduction in noise level.

I put solid limbsaves on my site (Keller Pend.) and two piece quiver along with the leaches and split limbsavers and really helped my bow.

SF