Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

Old 06-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

In the Archery Experts catalog Tom Redmond write little tips thingys and on one of them it says.

" I shot a 4" vane through a chronograph at 1 yard and 20 yards. It lost 8ft. I then shot a 1 1/2 Quck Spin and at the same distances. It only lost 1 ft. Of course, I allways make sure they shoot good at a distance. First at 60 yardsa and then through paper at 20 yards to make sure they are flying perfect. Guys if you are shooitng expandables, try some of these smaller vanes. Oh! Buy the way, I had neil stand much down range behind the wall my arrow was lying by, they are also much quiter!"

Is this true?? The smaller vanes will work better with mechanical broadheads. I plan to use them and if this is true I may start using the smaller vanes.

THANKS,
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

Depending on the vane he just took 30 grns. off of the arrow. You can and a lot of people do the same with feathers. I don't know how he is able to tell how they are flying shooting through paper at 20 yrds. You can't just take 30 grns. of of the nock end of an arrow and have it fly right.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM

10 feet per second ? If thats going to make or break your shots on deer at 20 yards, you got a LOT more to worry about that fletching !
Old 06-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have not had a chance to try the Bohning Blazers yet but all of the positive comments on the forums and my choice of expandable broadheads certainly has me leaning towards picking up some. Maybe I can convince the local shop to order some in.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Beware of things like that. Some guy does a little experiment, comes up with a certain result and writes it up in a magazine article. What he doesn't put in his write-up is that that is the result HE got on THAT particular day, with THAT particular chronograph, in THOSE particular conditions. It most definitely does NOT mean that everyone will get exactly the same results in all circumstances.

The thing to do with these kinds of articles is to maintain a healthy amount of skepticism and do your own testing. Find out whether you can repeat his results. Then, test how it works by putting yourself in positions you're likely to encounter under hunting conditions. Standing flat footed in the back yard, shooting arrows through chronographs and sheets of paper is one thing. Twisting around, bending over and shooting from less than perfect target shooting form is quite another, especially when the adrenaline is pumping, you're likely cold and tired, maybe even wet and miserable.

Will those arrows still shoot as well under those conditons with the short fletching as they do with the longer fletch? As a bowhunter, THAT is the kind of testing that is meaninful.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 AM

Anytime I see something like this in a catelog I question it. It sounds like he is trying to give a little push to a certain product, there's always a business side to it!

Like others have said if you knock off 15-30 grains off of your arrow you can expect it to shoot faster. Thats why a lot of people started shooting smaller vanes with small mechanical heads. They fly like darts & they pick up a few FPS as well. I have shot a mixture of vanes sizes & feathers. I still think 4" vanes group better with most broadheads and are a better choice for most hunters especially if they are using fixed blade heads. If you are shooting an ultra short & small head like the Rocket Steelhead then you can expect great flight using a smaller vane.

It' all relative, really.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The thing to do with these kinds of articles is to maintain a healthy amount of skepticism and do your own testing.
Arthur, I think you have enough skepticism for us all.

I agree though and think a test with your gear would be prudent before making a wholesale change. I like to tinker as much as the next guy, but I make sure something works before I jump right into it.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:32 PM

PABowhuntr,
My buddy and I have been trying all different types of fletching from feathers to 4 and 5 inch vanes to quick spins and the Bohning Blazers.

After weeks of shooting in the back yard, in the garage, stump shooting, small game and 3-D ranges, we settled on the Blazers. Nothing else could match the accuracy AND durability of these Blazers, (for us).

Now before anyone slams me cause they love feathers or quickspins, I'm not saying the Blazers are better for everybody, but I think you need to try them and give them a chance.

And NO.....I don't work for Bohning OR own their stock.

Kev
Old 06-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was gonna try this. Beman Black Max , Arrow wrap. 1.5 bohning blazer vanes. If i did decide to do this which do you think would be better the 1.5 or 2 inch vanes.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 PM

I personally like the 2" blazers. They work very well for me with fixed blade heads.

Quick Reply: If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.