Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If this is true then i am going to consider smaller fletching

I'd also say the 2" Blazers, Trapper. They impressed me when I tested them for a local shop when fletched on about a 6 degree offset. I found they did have their limits on how large of a broadhead they'd stabilize though. For me, they worked best with vented fixed blade heads, 1" dia and smaller, so I'm fairly sure they might could do an adequate job with mechanicals. Definitely attach them with an offset though, and see how they do from your bow.

On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't go out on a limb and say they work 'better' than a larger fletch. They didn't impress me that much. The smaller the fletching, the more critical it will be to have the bow matched perfectly to your arrow spine and tuned to perfection, not to mention having your shooting form tuned to perfection. Short fletchings are not something that I'd recommend to the weekend warrior or occasional shooter.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a question that needs answered. The guy tried 4" vanes and lost 8 fps. OK, compared to what? And what 4" vanes? I've seen 4" vanes that vary in weight from 6.5 grains to over 12 grains. And while comparing things compare the average vane to the average feather. The feathers weigh approx. 1/3 of what vanes of the same size do.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:11 AM

Currently I'm using XX78 2315 shafts with 4" quickspins and 125gr Magnus Stingers. I've finally got my bow tuned where I want it and everything is shooting well for me. (560gr, 225 fps)
Be that as it may, I'm still tinkering with 5" Killer Vanes with as much rt. helical as my jig will allow. I'm also messing with 5" feathers and 100 gr. heads.
I just bought some Blazers today and will give them a try too.

So far I am getting my best, most consistant accuracy with the Quickspins. I don't see how the 2" Blazers fletched with a straight offset will give me the stability I need but enough people have told me that they work that I figured I'd give them a try. Those Quickspins sure work great but they are too damn expensive and they wrinkle quick.