Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 09-21-2002, 03:23 PM

Default RE: Should expandable broadheads be legal?

Okay, so being new to this, I am now totally confused. I have asked the guys at two local shops, and both say mechanicals are great. I even asked if I should be shooting the mechanicals prior to hunting with them and both said there is no need as the 100gr. Spitfires I have will fly the same as teh 100gr. field points I have been practicing with. Now having no prior experience with either I really have no preference, but what I really need is the straight scoop on what will work everytime, and whether or not I should have a practice set of either heads to insure that everything fits together properly. Now the other question I have is how do I know my bow is properly tuned with either type of head. Any feedback that could clear this up would be great.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:41 PM

I shoot year round and tune my bow where it is shooting bullet holes in paper with field points. When I get ready for turkey season in the spring I just put my mech's on (rocket) and go hunting becouse it shoots right where my field points shoot. Thats when 3d tournements start and still ready to go. I shoot all the way up to OCT. when deer season gets here and all I have to do is put on my rockets and im ready to go.
With my bow already tuned perfectly why would i want to tune my fixed head with my bow ???? then back and forth with filed point when i'am not hunting.

1.(I know guys that don't like mech. heads becouse of past experiences
I ALSO KNOW THAT THEY DON'T LIKE TO ADMIT THEY GUT SHOT THE DEER!!!!

2.(PENATRATION) If you place your ARROW where i do, heat or lungs must of the time lungs, is 2 lungs and buried in the ground not enough penatration????????
Old 09-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2002, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, I have used them myself on deer and turkey. We have some elk in my area now and I want a strong fixed blade for that shot so I went back to my trusted Muzzys.
A well tuned bow with good ke and a mechanical will do fine.

SF

Old 09-21-2002, 06:58 PM

i have been hunting with mussy for years and this year i am think to going to mechanicals so i see no reason with them i just don't know what ones to go with ......

al bowmansville ny
Old 09-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2002, 08:52 PM

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is cutting diameter. They certainly DO have a place in bowhunting if some common sense is applied. I've seen mechanicals as large as 2 1/2 in diameter advertised in the catalogs. WOW, I hope nobody here thinks the huge heads are the right choice. I have shot the rockets for 5 years. Nothing larger than 1 1/2 in (the 75gr miniblaster 3L is a damn good one) diameter at deer size animals and usually get pass throughs...Stay small and you'll have success...Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 09-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Each state has the right to decide their own laws. Some do it with real thought and weighing of all the facts. Unfortunately... others don't. I can see where a state may not want to legalize them. Big skinned, heavy weight, big boned, tough animals may require a lot more than some of these things on the market will deliver. The states can't get into this ones good that ones bad contest. Where as we ALL know fixed will work... we also ALL know all mechanicals DON'T. A state has the right and they exercise it. It's not up for popular vote by a few bow hunters with their own agendas on a talk forum.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:25 PM

Meathunter, I don't think anyone should go to the field without checking to insure the mechanicals are hitting in the same spot. The fact is though, those rascals have a pretty good track record for hitting where you're fieldpoints do. I, too was sceptical at first but by god, they shoot pretty straight....Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 09-22-2002, 06:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.