Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Labor Day hunt?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Labor Day hunt?

i might be hunting the weekend of the kentucky bow openner(labor day weekend) and i really don't know how i should go about hunting the deer. i'm not used to hunting the early season so i'm not sure what to do. i thought it would be too early for rattling and scents soooooo...... i'm kinda lost. so any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Labor Day hunt?

IMO the extreme early season is the easiest time to get onto bucks, especially mature bucks. Find some active oaks or other feeding areas and set up between them and the beds and you should have a good time with plenty of buck sightings. The bucks will still be in their bachelor groups and you honestly may have a crack at a true brute traveling along with 2-3 or more other bucks.

Although I am not speaking from genuine hunting experience as our season always opens the beginning of Oct. I am speaking from my experiences on countless hours spent glassing and scouting my properties.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

that's what i thought would probably work. i have an area in white oaks that's a travel corridor to an area where does and bucks feed. the place where i was thinking of setting up was about 25 yards or so into the woods so i can overlook the corridor and the feeding area. there's one other area but it would probably be a last resort. thanks buckeye.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter06FlKy

i might be hunting the weekend of the kentucky bow openner(labor day weekend) and i really don't know how i should go about hunting the deer. i'm not used to hunting the early season so i'm not sure what to do. i thought it would be too early for rattling and scents soooooo...... i'm kinda lost. so any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
Buckeye has some good advice but I don't think you will see food falling that early or the need to feed a lot for the rut. My guess is that they will drink first in the evening at freseh watering holes. Your best bet is to allow me to hunt that weekend with you and I'm sure we will have our oportunities. Professionally Speaking of course.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry it took me so long to reply. thanks for the info. the area that i'm gonna hunt i think is a travel corridor to food and a watering hole. so i think that may work.

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

[ Your best bet is to allow me to hunt that weekend with you and I'm sure we will have our oportunities. Professionally Speaking of course.
field mouse very tempting offer. but i usually go alone. i make enough noise as i go getting into those thickets. i need to find a quieter way to get in.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:20 PM

Cut a way in if you can before season. No joke. Go in with a set of pruning shears and open a trail up for you to use. Do it early enough before season so that the deer get used to it. They may even start using it themselves.

When we fix the fences that the cattle sometimes tear down on our property we have to clear a lot of brush from the edges, you'd be amazed at how the deer activity picks up along the fenclines after we clear them. Deer are like people, they like to use the easiest routes to get from point A to point B if there is still enough cover to feel protected.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

field mouse very tempting offer. but i usually go alone. i make enough noise as i go getting into those thickets. i need to find a quieter way to get in.
It's a safe bet that early in the season I have major functional difficulties tring to locate, set up, climb a tree and settle in for a hunt. Believe me I'm the most comical hunter early season.

Good luck
Old 06-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Cut a way in if you can before season. No joke. Go in with a set of pruning shears and open a trail up for you to use. Do it early enough before season so that the deer get used to it. They may even start using it themselves.
yeah i was planning on doing that over the summer. i need to move a stand anyway and i'm usually scouting back there anyways... so one way or another it'll get done.