Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ampahunters bird

Old 06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Ampahunters bird

The last day of the season Kieth has been getting frustorated with these turk's hanging up on him .And then low and behold the last day of the season he take's this fine looking bird .Congrat's to you Kieth .

nubo
Old 06-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ampahunters bird

Thanks for posting the pictures John--can't figure that out as yet!!!

I've been away from the forum now for the last 4-5 weeks, only because of my dedicated efforts to bag a turk and commitments at work.
Like you've mentioned John, those birds this year had strategies of their own.
Mostly, them seemed hened up and were all with quite a number of hens and it's been difficult seperating them from the hens.
Nevertheless, frustration wasn't my problem--actually it was another learning curve; I 'enjoyed' all that the birds threw at me this year and I counter-reacted with a different set-up every other hunt.

Just watching their habits, talking with the hens and trying to get the Gobblers to come to my calls were enough to enjoy---of course the tag was the reward/bonus for all the efforts and I did enjoy that as well---especially coming on the LAST DAY of the season.

All in all it was another great season, I enjoyed every moment of being in the outdoors, now I've packed away my Turkey gear--went back to the 3D range yesterday, the first time in six weeks--and will now be focusing on the next hunt---this being our Moose season in September.
I hope everyone else on the forum had an enjoyable & safe season as I had, and now I'm looking forward to hanging around here a little more often!!!
Thanks again John.
Keith.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations. That looks like one very respectable bird.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08 AM

Congrats! Way to hang in there and pull through.

Are there a lot of birds in Ontario? I know the further you get up in NH the less birds there are and some of the most northern WMU don't have a bird season.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!

Did you use a commercial blind?

Congratulations!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kieth !

That's not a problem ,I got to get out and get my gear together and packed away as well .I also have a no-peep to get on my bow and setup correctly,then get ready for the moose season as well.
Antler Eater the further north you go in Ontario the less bird's there are ,I'm not sure they could survive the cold winter's up there , The rest of Ontario seem's to be fine for the Turkey's just not the Northen district's .

nubo
Old 06-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm overwhelmed with the congratulations--thanks guys.
Yes, I used the Ameristep Doghouse TSC--seems to be my 'lucky' blind--prior to the last day, I was in a Double Bull---superstitious or what [:-].

The population of birds have certainly improved here in Southern Ontario.

Since the re-introduction of birds, thankfully so to the Americans and also the support from our local NWTF Chapters, OFAH, MNR, other concerned organisations and individuals, our flocks have been steadily growing.

So much so--it may be time soon to introduce a fall hunt for 'hens'.
We are still not allowed to harvest any hens and neither do we have an open season for their harvest.
This year, 2005, I have noticed quite a gap in the hens to Tom/Jakes ratio---so much so, it was difficult at times pulling the Toms away from all their ladies!!!
All in all, t'was tons of fun---and I am sure thankful to all those involved in bringing the Turkey hunt back to Ontario.
The sound of a "Gobble" really cannot be felt until it is 'heard' live!!!
Now the wait to our next season begins .
Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Bird Ampa,
I got out a few times myself and ended up taking a 15 1/2 lb jake. I love turkey hunting, but it does mess up your sleep patterns!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sleep Patterns--??--Terry ya ain't going to shoot a bird in bed, that's for sure.
Congrats on your bird!!
Once the hunting season begins--I would mess up almost everying to get into to woods---(just looked over my shoulder to see if my wife was looking). Ha!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Congrats, nice bird. Good thing you didn't get too frustrated and give up earlier in the season.