Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A crappy day....

Old 09-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A crappy day....

Actually, I have never hunted an area where I could shoot 60-70yrds. So it's not like I have ever taken that shot at a live deer. But if the shot ever arrives, I will not hesitate to take a good broadside shot at 60yrds. I'm fully confident that I can make a shot behind the shoulder and get good penetration. But like I said, I've never taken a shot over 50yrds at any deer. But atleast I have the pins in case the situation ever arrives.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

You shoot at a live deer at 60 yards and you will be having another crappy day. You will spend hours trailing, and time wishing you could take back your shot.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to add something to this topic.A deer WILL NOT jump a string at 60 yards.It is much more likely to happen at 20 than it is at 60 or even 30.A deer has a comfort zone and when you are out that far he could care less what that little noise was.The most he will do is turn his head to look.Then it will be too late.

Most setups today will have plenty of ke and/or momentum to pass thru a deer.Mine for instance will start out with 57.4 ft/lb of ke.At 60 I will have 45.3 ft/lb of ke.Still sufficient to passthru a deer if placed proper.My arrow leaves at 268 fps and at 60 is traveling 238 fps,that is an average of 253 fps.This would put my arrow at the target in .711 of a second.A deer doesn't generally walk that fast to move into a bad shot situation but it could happen.That would be a shot that should only be considered if a rangefinder has determined the EXACT distance.The shot should be wide open(like on a field).The deer should be feeding or something as such to show extreme comfort in the animal.Also the most important would be that you are able to make that shot consistantly with hunting gear on and even try shooting it from your knees.This will give you some kind of idea how you will execute it in a hunting situation.

I had a friend that took one at 65 yards and he is plenty capable hunter and archer to try this.He can read animals and can shoot lights out.

Personally I can shoot 5" groups at 50 yards from my knees or on a chair and do it consistantly and 60 would be hard for me to shoot on a live animal.I would take it on an elk but a deer I might have to pass.Of course on an elk I would bump the ke up.

Only you can make the decission to shoot if the shot presents itself.I hope your decision is the right one.

Edited by - tfox on 09/20/2002 21:59:09