Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats Your #1 early scent to use?

Old 09-19-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Whats Your #1 early scent to use?

In your opinion whats the scent of choice,for early season Archery,when the Bucks or still together. I dont worry about cover scents as i use scent loc suit,Iam talking about laying a scent trail or a scent that 1 would use with a decoy? Iam not sure about the stuff you get in the catalogs, maybe if someone knows of a dealer or one that collects scent from his own deer. Thanks for your time in helping me out wiyh this, Thats why i think this forum is so cool just ask and you recive.

Double HH

Oh ya by the way hope you all have a great season&safe hunts.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whats Your #1 early scent to use?

First of all I would make sure to use a cover scent with your scent lok suit. The scent lok keeps your odors to yourself underneath the carbon layer, but the outside fabrics can contain numerous odors(like the scent from your fingers when you are putting it on). Second, I would probably try and use a dominant buck lure. Try to get them thinking about what is coming on, and maybe start some action. Good luck, I hope this helps you.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Double HH, I agree with Woodline about still using cover scents, more so to cover foriegn scents you might pick up around your car or house before getting to the woods. I disagree, however, on using dominant buck scent this early in the season. Everything I've seen or read adamantly suggest NOT to do this, as it is as unnatural a smell as gasoline would be to them at this point.

I have used Trail's End #307 or whatever it is that's readily attainable at Wal-Mart with pretty good success. It's more of a curiosity scent than a sexual attractant, and I use it on a drag rag while making my way to my stand. I had a nice little buck stumble across it last year, and it turned him perfectly for a broadside shot.

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use plain cover scent, and occasionally, Acron Scent. It's not a real strong draw, but it helps to keep the your scent covered.

As for first week of November...I am using the Mile's Keller Challenger Gel. Great scent, really works great durning the rut. I made a drag with it. Left my stand at noon and came back at 2pm. A nice 12pt buck was on the trail, nose to the ground, searching for the "other" buck. It's just too bad that a tree had to jump between me and him as my 30.06 bullet speeded towards his neck. But I guess you'll have that. It's all in hunting.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:23 PM

I use a scent lok suit and fell a cover scent is a must, a good one I found is plain old vanilla extract, pure not imitation. Works real well and I have had more deer up close than with any other scent.

I have read and can't swear by it but you can use dominant scents early in the season, but use very sparingly, like a 1/4 or 1/3 the amount of scent you would use close to the rut. Makes it more of a curiousity scent, that other bucks are in the area, rather than scare off a buck, because the ruts not in yet.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:37 PM

BY NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE STARTED YOUR MOCK SCRAPES. IF YOU HAVE NOT THESE ARE THE SCENTS THAT I WOULD RECCOMMEND-

1 HAWGS PRE AND POST
2.HAWGS FOREHEAD GLAND

IT IS VITALLY IPORTANT TO ENTER THE WOODS AT ALL TIMMES AS SCENT FREE AS POSSIBLE. I WOULD NOT RECCOMMED USING COVER SCENTS THAT ARE NOT PROMINAT IN YOUR HUNTING AREA. EX: USING CEDAR COVER SCENT IN THE PINE TREES

IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO ON THE PREPERATION OF MOCK SCRAPES FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

[email protected]

HUNT ON HUNT HARD EAT WELL
Old 09-20-2002, 01:00 PM

I use cover up scents, and tinks doe pee. Untill the rut starts I then use tinks #69.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to use no scent, and try to elimate any scent on my body. The areas that I usually hunt are hunted pretty hard. I think that no scent is the best stategy for me.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:14 PM

I also use products by Hawgs Limited. The Pre/Post Rut urine formula and the Deer Stop gland simulation. I've had good response in early season scrapes but haven't killed one directly with the product yet. This year I scouted a little funnel area with alot of sign in it. I went along and every 25-30 yards I made mock licking branches and a few scrapes. Outdoor writer/biologist Charles Alsheimer has recorded success with the licking branches. He goes along well used trails and ties up branches, according to him the deer can't resist working them every time they use the trail. Sounds good to me.

PBB

Pick a hair.....or a caruncle!!
Old 09-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

FYI....The folks at Scent-Lok tell me NOT to use any type of cover scent in conjunction with Scent-Lok clothing. Scent eliminator spray is fine, but a Scent-Lok suit will absorb cover scent....and, according to the boys at Scent-Lok, their clothing can only absorb so much scent before it has to be reactivated. If its soaking up the cover scent, it will lose its ability to absorb your scent substantially earlier in the day.

I thought my Scent-Lok suit was defective because, along about 6:00 p.m., I could smell my self (pee-yew!) through the suit. The Scent-Lok folks asked me a ton of questions, one of which was, "do you use any cover scent w/your suit?" When I replied, "yes, I use the Fresh Earth wafers." They responded, "A HA!! That's the problem! DO NOT USE cover scent w/our product...only scent eliminator."

It seems to make sense....

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Whats Your #1 early scent to use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.