Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gator huntin'....

Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gator huntin'....

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Gator meat is good. I have only eaten the tails though.

yeah same here. it is very good though. really tastey.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

gator meat is awesome....especially if it's cooked right...add some cole slaw, hushpuppies, and fries and you'd stuff yourself until you were about to puke...trust me.
besides the meat they are also hunted for their hides...i'm not sure what the going rate is now and to me it really doesn't matter because he's going on my wall but it's a great way to make some extra cash if needed.

they are also becoming a nuissance (sp?)...the population has exploded in the last 10yrs alone...to the point where they wander the streets, climb fences to get in pools,etc....especially bad during mating season.

i've always been fascinated with them....when i went thru my wild stage we'd catch them with our hands...there were times when we'd have one in each hand, be sittin' on the bigger ones and still out tryin' to catch more....we'd never hurt them though...usually a lil boat ride, a picture or two,some belly rubs and kisses and then they'd be released back into the water....but it's been years since i caught one with my hands and that's what has me a lil chicken....plus the biggest i ever caught was around 5ft and now we'll be going after MONSTERS....my nephew says nothing less than 10.5ft but i'd be happy with an 8.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:57 PM

The state needs to open up season on them. I agree they are way over populated right now. FL could issue alot more tags and require check in at a real check in station instead of honor system like they do all other species. Just give us a season and we (hunters) could help keep the population in check.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: K2SOCO

The state needs to open up season on them. I agree they are way over populated right now. FL could issue alot more tags and require check in at a real check in station instead of honor system like they do all other species. Just give us a season and we (hunters) could help keep the population in check.
i would definatly second that. there are a ton around my area and it's getting to the point where i see alot more BBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG ones that small ones.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

i strongly agree with you guys as well....when they start showin' up in garages, school grounds, etc. it's time to do something.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey girl , how are ya?

There are some pretty good gator hunting videos out there. I've seen one that was strictly bowfishing for gators. You dont hook them with anything except your arrow , and they use float jugs to mark them for a second (or 3rd) shot. Do a search and you should be able to come up with a decent video.

Gator jambalaya is awesome!

Good Luck!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM

I did it last year for the first time and learned a lot. #1 Thing...If you're gonna do it with a bow have that AMS reel. Those old fashion bowfishing reels make things difficult. You need to be able to shoot and retrieve fast if you miss. They offer more opportunities at times and you have to be ready.#2 HAVE A TROLLING MOTOR.... trust me a paddle doesn't work. You need to shut down the outboard and sneek into position with the troller.#3 Don't shine the headlamp directly at them till you're ready to shoot or they'll go down before you're in bowrange. If you're in a small boat like I am, have the float system attached to the line. He can then run around all he wants and you just have to keep finding the float and working him. These are the main things that screwed us up last year.Good luck and Muzzy has all the gear you need. Get the 600# line too.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to have a chance to hunt gators, plus it would be neat to have you very own boots made out of you own gator skin.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

hey back bowfanatic...long time no see.
things are going good...off season withdrawls are startin' to kick in.[:@][&:]
hope everything is going well with you...hopefully i'll be around here more often.....just seems like i never have any time.

thanks for all the advice y'all.