Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nightmare

Old 09-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nightmare

Everybody has really surprised me in saying that I should continue to hunt the season. I guess at this particular moment I feel like I have already "taken" my deer and it isn't right for me to try for another. I am also worried about the penetration issue. My bow and arrows have been paper tuned and group tuned. I even paper tune with the broadheads just to sort of double check. If the paper is lying then how else do I check? Thank you for helping instead of bashing.

Old 09-19-2002, 02:16 PM

Maybe you hit a twig
Maybe you just had a terrible release under the exitement of the hunt.

both of these could really hurt your penetration.

Have confidence in your set up - It is good for deer
Old 09-19-2002, 02:26 PM

Lady-The most important thing to me is you cared enough to own up to the situation on this board. We can all relate and understand and you need to go back out and make a clean kill. This thread can help others a lot. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:30 PM

A friend of mine in his seventies, shoots with a 45 lb compound, at a 28" draw and he blows through every deer with his set-up. His broadheads were tuned using the bare shaft method and he uses brand new blades on his Muzzy's. Don't use blades that have been shot at a target. Don't even use blades that have gone in and out of a quiver several times. This will dull them. Penetration requires straight arrow travel and absolutely razor sharp blades. Once you've got this, a shot in the ribs is going to take them out every time.

Don't worry that you've "taken my deer". There's ton's of deer out there, now go get yours.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:21 PM

It was probably just a flesh wound anyway. Hunt away.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-19-2002, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

It really hurts our pride and our conscience to think that we have made a poor shot on an animal, but we have to keep on going. The coyotes need to eat too. Don't let this get you down. Get back out there and put a good shot on that next deer that comes down your path. Don't worry about your setup, it sounds very good. You will penetrate far enough into a deer if you put the shot in the right spot. Learn from your mistakes and enjoy the gift called hunting.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep hunting! The only recomendation I can give you is to wait 2 hours before you begin any tracking. Even if you shoot it 5 minutes before dark, wait. When I was younger I shot numerous deer with a 45 lb. rig. My shots weren't always perfect and I got several deer that penetrated only about 6 inches. Wait 2 hours. If you think its not the best shot, wait more. If the tempature drops into the 30's or lower at night.......just wait till morning. It works!

I now shoot 70 lbs. and still wait 2 hours.

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:06 PM

lady,

everyone has lost a deer before, be it with bow are gun. it happens to the best archer,or shooter. jump back up on the horse and ride!good luck on the next one.

tracey moore
Old 09-19-2002, 08:21 PM

Lady take your stand in hand and get back out there.You havent taken a deer till you have tagged it.

I personally know the disapointment your feeling.You have to lift up the chin.Get your confidence back.Its one of those things we hate to have happen.The worst thing you could do is hang your bow up for the year.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!

Quick Reply: Nightmare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.