Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep ?

Old 05-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Peep ?

I say another post on peep sites and it reminded me of this question. Dose anyone have truble seeing threw them peep at dusk. I never liked the peep so I got rid of it along with the sites and cams. Just curious.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peep ?

In the past I drilled a few out. That helped.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

True peep recently came out with a 1/4 inch size that should help , 3/16s was their largest size before .
Old 05-20-2005, 12:03 PM

I have an oversized peep but that was not still enough for me, I learned to shoot both eyes open.
On average if I'm hunting a field edge I can shoot easily 10-15 minutes longer then I could with one eye(for the record it is legal to hunt 1/2 hour after sunset in Maine) In the woods there is less then 10-15 minutes but it is probably 5 minutes longer I can hunt and feel confident about a shot. I'm not an advocate for shooting in low light but I practice a lot at dusk. If I can't see detail on the animal then I know it's too late to shoot.

I've contemplated a no peep for a couple of years but have yet to make a switch. I like to hear some feedback from anyone who shoots with one.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

I got rid of my peep and put a Hind Sight on my bow. I like it a lot better than a peep and it glows in the low light. I put a Vital Bow Gear Proslide on my bow also and that glows too. I could actually shoot my bow in the dark if I could see the target.

The only thing I don't care for is that the white cross hairs are hard to see when shooting at light targets, for example the block and white sheep and polar bears on video shoots. It stands out great on brown deer and black turkeys though. I guess as long as I don't use it for polar bears I will be ok.

My accuracy has actually gotten better too. I shafted two arrows this last summer with this setup.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:22 AM

I posted on another site that I had trouble gathering light through peeps & took my peep off and threw them in the garbage and one of the guys on the site accused me of hunting past legal hours . Shows what he knows - squat . I guess all of you having the same problem are outlaws too LOL !
Old 05-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

the one that i had on my old bow that i'm going to put on my new bow is pretty big and has a fiber optic ring around it that helps alot.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found that with a 3/16" or 1/4" peep and the Reflective sight ring on my TR sight that I can easily see a great sight picture right up to the very final seconds of legal shooting light.