Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumb Question About Grips

Old 05-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Dumb Question About Grips

I contacted a custom grip maker about a new grip for my Reflex Buckskin. One of the questions they asked was whether I wanted an extra low, low, medium, high, or extra high wrist angle. I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. In general, I can visualize what they were referring to, but how do you define the different angles. Can anyone shed any light on this?? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Default RE: Dumb Question About Grips

I would assume that an extra low grip handle would run almost completely parallel to the string, and an extra high would have near a 45 degree angle with the string, or it could be opposite. But, whatever the case may be, i would think a low to medium would be right, or at least for me anyways.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Low grip you push with th heal of your hand , so the grip is going to be pretty straight . High grip you push with the web between your thumb and index finger , so they have a bump in them and kind of a grove right below the arrow shelf .

Parker bows come with a high grip [or they used to ]
Bowtechs are a low to mid grip

edit to add , theres no dumb questions , just dumb answers
Old 05-19-2005, 03:14 PM

ijimmy - Thanks for the input.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just to add to what ijimmy said, if you like the feel of the current grip on your Reflex go with a low-to-mid grip. If you find yourself holding the heel of your palm off the grip you'll want to go with the high grip.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can I'd say get all 3. You'll learn something and may just find one is the right one and you never knew what you were missing. Next time you by a bow it will be one more thing you know you want. Instead of buying a bow and getting used to it you'll buy a bow that fits you. Cheap education if you ask me.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advise nodog , martin is shiping some of their bows now with 3 diferant grips , and alot of archers take the grip off compleatly and shoot right off of the metal risor . or wrap it with camo tape .
Old 05-20-2005, 03:24 PM

If you can I'd say get all 3.
At $40 bucks a pop, I probably won't get all three, although that is an excellent idea. I actually like the feel of the grip I have now, but wanted to get rid of the ugly plastic one that came on the bow and add a wood one. Sounds like the medium one would be the best option. Thanks everyone for you input.