Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone use quick spin fletching?

Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Does anyone use quick spin fletching?

6 degree offset.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them too, but I was told to not go over a 2 or 3 degree offset, so that is what mine at set at on my Gold Tips. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Crud, I cant make up my mind. I guess I have some time, The bow I have been waiting for to do this with is still not here. Everything else has made it, but the bow. Just found out it was sent today. Kinda mad, but also happy. Been waiting for over a month, which is when it was suppose to be sent. But at least I know it is on its way now.l
Old 05-23-2005, 09:29 PM

My fixed blades do fine without quickspins. I try to keep my setup as quiet as possible and using the quickspins is just counter productive to what I've been trying to do. Trust me, they're loud. When you shoot a regular arrow you hear a "twang whooooshe" as the arrow flies throught he air. When you shoot a quickspin you hear a "twant BUZZZZZIP" (sorry about the sorry spelling on the sound effect but you get the idea). The noise from a flying quickspin is at leat twice as loud as the noise of a normal arrow. Even worse, the noise is the most unnatural thing you'll ever hear in the woods aside from a gunshot. If you have deer jumping your string they will leap over trees from the flight noise of a quickspin.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: max the dog

My fixed blades do fine without quickspins. I try to keep my setup as quiet as possible and using the quickspins is just counter productive to what I've been trying to do. Trust me, they're loud. When you shoot a regular arrow you hear a "twang whooooshe" as the arrow flies throught he air. When you shoot a quickspin you hear a "twant BUZZZZZIP" (sorry about the sorry spelling on the sound effect but you get the idea). The noise from a flying quickspin is at leat twice as loud as the noise of a normal arrow. Even worse, the noise is the most unnatural thing you'll ever hear in the woods aside from a gunshot. If you have deer jumping your string they will leap over trees from the flight noise of a quickspin.
Sorry, don't agree with the noise from QS. Maybe they weren't fletched well for you? Mine aren't noticeably louder to the human ear.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Shot some Quick Spins the other day and immediately noticed three things. The noise, how heavy they are. (They really change the FOC.) and they didn't improve the accuracy compared to the same shafts fletched with regular vanes.

Just my honest observation.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:12 PM

The arrows I used belonged to the archery shop owner. He was trying really hard to sell them and offered to loan 3 for a week. The noise was much louder indoors but it was still very clear even in a wide open field.
I will admit that accuracy does improve but it's only noticeable on the really long shots. I can also imagine that it slows down the arrows a bit.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:47 AM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

I shoot them too, but I was told to not go over a 2 or 3 degree offset, so that is what mine at set at on my Gold Tips. Has anyone else heard of this?
I started shooting them last year and I was told you can even go no offset. The guy at my local bow shop does this and I went with only a 1 degree offset. They fly like a charm. He told me anything over 2/3 like you mentioned actually reduces performance (according to NAP). This was from him, not me, but I trust him more than anyone for my bow hunting needs.

Edit ---- I found this on NAP's site, good stuff:
http://www.newarchery.com/press/info...actoryTech.doc

My quikspins went through an elk and a mule deer last year and they will be on my arrows this year. They have a new 2.25" inch that is much lighter and still performs just as good.

I shot the snot out of these last year and here is my observations:

- little bit louder, but nothing I shot last year seem to noticed or jump
- I shoot broadheads with practice blades only and actually got about 1 inch deeper penetration into my block target that with standard GoldTip vanes
- my groups got better with them over time, but barely and could have been me just shooting more and more

Overall, I liked the added penetration into my target, especially since I chase the bigger game