Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Donating Deer?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Donating Deer?

We don't have a program like that here in Ontario, but I donated a caribou to a local men's shelter here and they were tickled pink. I also offered the meat (fully processed and frozen) to a womens shelter and was basically called a monster, thier loss.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

they have the hfh in kentucky where i hunt, but i never realized that you have to pay them to give them your deer. i have plenty of people here in florida that would be more than happy to have some venison. i may just skin and quarter the extra does that i kill(god willing that i harvest extras) and give them to my friends that don't get to hunt that much. i don't know. i'll have to see if they charge up in kentucky.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't afford the proccessing fee. So donating is out for me. Thats why I butcher myself. You know it's your meat your getting and you can trim ALL the tallow off to insure perfect eating. I did however get in a bind 3 years ago and I brought a large buck to the butcher. Not expecting to pay more than 75 bucks or so, keep in mind I just wanted the basic cuts wrapped. No jerky or sausage and the guy called me up saying I owed him 200 something? I almost died! It was by the pound and this deer was massive I admit but for basic cuts? No way. Now if it's warm a quick quarter job and in the coolers so I can do it over a couple of nights.
I do have a guy that will take any I give him. We have a agreement I supply him a few deer and he gives me some jerky and the hide from it. I turn the hide in to hides for habitat. And the Jerky I eat myself.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:38 PM

They do get you on processing fees on deer at locker plants esp when you compare them to domestic livestock harvest and processing costs, and you gut and kill the deer for them instead of them doing it like they would a hog, steer or lamb. We had a 190# lamb (Fatter than fat) processed for 60 bucks and a 310 pound hog for about 120 dollars and that was with smoking and sausage. If those had been deer it would have been more than double... Most people I know now just process there own and take their trim and cuts they don't want down to a sausage guy. Saves them lots of money doing it that way.

I don't know what Illinois HFH program is like. I always know what it is during the season but than it just slips away from my knowledge because I don't think about very often. Do know a guy who donated 5 does last year...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:50 PM

IF the meat is truly getting to those that need it, then I have absolutely no problem paying for the processing. While I could easily find many ways to spend that money on more toys (a.k.a archery equipment), I feel it's a way of giving to those that are less fortunate, while fulfilling a passion to be outdoors.