Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

sonic broadheads anyone?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 PM

Default sonic broadheads anyone?

Looking at the sonic broadheads on cabelas.com. Interesting design with an outstanding claim to accuracy. Any experience with these? My concern is accuracy naturally, but I am also concerned with durability...enough for elk? Also eyeballing Cabelas F-3 Anything on these?
Thanks,
Standingbear
Old 05-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sonic broadheads anyone?

http://www.broadheadtests.com/FIXEDBLADEHEADS.html
scroll down to the last review on the page.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 AM

I have the Sonics, and they are pretty awesome. Very accurate and very, very sharp. I had been using NAP Nitrons, and the Sonics IMO are a cut above. The drawback is that the cutting diameter is pretty small, so I don't know if I'd want to use them on elk or not. (100gr heads are only 7/8" but there are 1" radius in 75gr and 125gr (I think).) Even so, that 7/8", 100gr head is great on deer. I've found the bloodtrails to be simply amazing.

Another thing to conisder is that American Broadhead is bringing out a new head this June (or thereabouts) called the Liberty head. It's supposed to be a larger diameter version of the Sonic. I plan on switching to (or at least trying) the Liberties this fall.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this would really matter with the amount of KE that your bow's putting out .For low range bow's putting out less than 45foot pound's the Sonic would be fine .For mid range output such as 45 footpound's to 55,a 1" to 1"1/8 would be better, and for high energy such as 55 to 65fp 1" to 1"1/4 and for more than 65fp any of these heads would work. I also agree that these head's would be fine for deer sized animal's ,I'm not sure I'd use them for Elk.

nubo
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Great broadhead site. I do believe both are awesome heads, but I will opt for slick tricks. I have read alot of positive threads on these and I'm more comfortable with the larger diameter. Both ar rated very high.
Thanks again!
Standingbear
Old 05-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

I will be using the Sonic 125 on elk this Sept.
These broadheads fly so accurate for me and penetrate so well that Im not really to concerned with the 1 inch cutting dia.
Its been my experiance that its better to put a small hole in the right spot.........just my 2 cents!