Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

AR archery?

Old 03-31-2005, 06:14 PM

Default AR archery?

i made a post on a thread a while back about how nice the AR bows felt, but i have never shot one. i would like to get some honest opinions on what they shoot like. no offense,i know there is going to be some opinions between Mathews and bowtech shooters. but does AR bows have a chance up there with those bows?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM

Default RE: AR archery?

i have a 34 cam and a half and love it. no handshock. shoots very well. i would replace the strings when i purchased one again because in my opinion the factory strings werent made well at all so i got strings and cables from prostrings. you can see in my signature of what all accessories and what not i have on it. Also, its not fast like the bowtechs are. do they shoot as well as the bowtech and matthews well thats up to the shooter not the bow. me personally i think they are right up there with everyone else, but, most people will say not simply for they dislike pse, which they make decent bows, but me i dont like them, but i do like ar and its better than pse cuz its their top of the line. I dont have a biased opinion for i have shot the ar, bowtech,matthews and thought all 3 were nice but i went with the one i wanted. i almost went with a bowtech but decided on the ar because i usually go opposite of everyone else and at the time where i am no one had the new ar. i would say to get a honest opinion and answer go shoot them and see then you will know which one you like and dont like. good luck and have fun shopping
Old 04-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had an AR34 Single cam. It was a very nice bow. Pretty fast, quiet, and very forgiving. The only downside I didn't like with the bow was the shallow let off. It seemed to want to pull forward on me quite a bit. But other than that, I think they are terrific bows. It is heavier than other bows that I have shot, but I kindof like them heavier. I now shoot a Hoyt (per my signature), but would recommend the AR as well.
I also was not a big fan of the Winner's Choice string that came with it. I also had a limb crack on me which sucked, but AR went out of their way to replace it and redip the entire riser since the camo was flaking a bit. Their Customer Service is out of this world!

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:12 PM

thanks arguy and ma hunter. i am not really in the market for one [yet]. but was just wondering what they were like. there is not many bowshops close to me where i can go and "experiment" with different brands of bows.i really do appreciate the unbiased opinions though
Old 04-26-2005, 03:36 PM

I'm picking up my 2005 AR34 CAM & 1/2 BOW this week, I was in between picking up a Hoyt vipertec, and the AR. But when I got to my local club, and felt the AR I preferred it over the Hoyt. Not to say that I didn’t like the Hoyt, it’s just that I loved the way the AR felt in my hand. This is just my opinion, I always wanted a Hoyt bow and when I finally got enough money to buy one, I ended up picking the AR. I was surprised myself. I would recommend either bow. But like the others have said it is up to you. Test it out! AR is not as popular as the other companies but that does not mean that it isn’t as good as them. I’m happy with my decision and when it all comes down to it that’s all that matters. Comfort is # 1.

Good luck, I hope you get what you want!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:46 AM

buckarcher...This is my past experience:

my strings on my 04 cam and a half werent worth a well darn and ill leave it at that. id recommend changing strings and cables. reason i had to they stretched really bad. now i may have just had a bad string but i replaced mine with prostrings strings and cables. ive been told by a number of people with ar bows that this was a common problem with that string. but remember that was just my bow. i replaced the strings and cables and it hasnt missed a lick yet. just my 2 cents. i also replaced my whisker biscuit with a drop away on the ar and i like it better. i would also recommend purchasing the vibracheck noise dampners that mount on the riser, they cut down on noise and vibration big time. you made a good choice and you wont be sorry with the ar.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the advice ARGUY. I'm going to pick up a pair of vibracheck noise dampners.
As for the string I will replace them also if needed. I'll probably go with the prostrings & cables also. Thanks again for the advice, I'm very excited to start shooting and tuning it.

I'm glad to see that you are also happy with your AR!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM

I have an AR 34, '05 model, Ram and a Half cam(s). Getting a Vapor Trail string put on next week. I have a lot of down time so I thought I'd clean up the cams and the grooves a bit. I noticed nicks on the bottom cam and I want to remove them. Should I use an ultra fine garnet paper.

I also love this bow, the "stock string" exudes negative pressure (sucks) big time. So my shooting experience was somewhat skewed as I had to constantly tune the the bow (STRING).

AR 34
68# DW
28.5 DL
Vapor 5000 ACA 29"
100 gr Satelites fixed, 100 gr target
Chrono at 255 fps with a 392 grain arrow.
Spott Hogg Hunter
Shakey Hunter drop away
Scott Mongoose release