Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Building arrows???

Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Building arrows???

I've been bow hunting for 15 years and I want to start building my own arrows... I know, I know...What took you so long, right??? I don't really know...lol So here are a few Q's if you don't mind... (I will be building carbon arrows if it makes a differance)

1. What is the prefered brand of feathers??? (not vanes)
2. Brand of glue for them???
3. Jig brand???
4. and anything else you may think of...

Thanks...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:25 AM

Default RE: Building arrows???

1. What is the prefered brand of feathers??? (not vanes)
this season has been the first season i have shot feathers. i love them! i have used both gateway and trueflight and honestly, can't tell a difference between them. some of the more experienced feather flingers on the boards say that trueflight feathers are somewhat of a better quality. i just personally haven't encountered this as of yet.

2. Brand of glue for them???
there are lots of good glues out there. i do not shoot carbons, but i have a friend who uses fletch-tite platinum with good success for his carbon arrows.

3. Jig brand???
huh, this question comes up about every month or so. i personally use a grayling jig. it works flawlessly for me. others on the boards swear by the blitz. i really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

4. and anything else you may think of...
do a search on the topic as there have been many posts in the past on this very question. and most of all have fun doing it!!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

#1... Tru flight

#2... AAE fast set gel. Dries in seconds and bonds extremely well. Some will say that the "super glues" will dry out feathers but I have not experienced this at all.

#3... Blitzenberger. Spend the extra money for the best and you'll never have to buy another one.

#4... There is a direction or "wing" that must be the same as your jig clamp. If you get a right wing fletching jig then you MUST use right wing feathers. Same goes for left wing. You can use either wing feathers if you fletch the feathers straight with no offset.

#5... make sure that before you start to fletch that you put a feather in the clamp with no glue on it and adjust the jig so that you get 100% contact between the base of the feather and the shaft. As long as you do not change to a larger or smaller diameter shaft you won't need to adjust it again.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much...