Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What Should i Get, first time bow hunter

Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 PM

Default What Should i Get, first time bow hunter

Im about to get a new bow and accessories but i dont know really what to get. All my bow hunting freinds tell me mathews outback. Im 14 years old and i want something that will last me. Price isn't much of an issue unless total amount for all the gear is over $1000. Also i want to know what kind of broadhead to use, my freinds tell me montec 100 grainers and to stay away from the mechanicals. Just tell me your oppinion on whats best.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:04 PM

Default RE: What Should i Get, first time bow hunter

also i wont really have much of a problem pulling back on the bow, my freind has his on 65 (were about the same draw length) and i can pull it back find.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What Should i Get, first time bow hunter

OK, you've taken the first step by determining your budget. The second thing I would recommend is go to an archery dealer and shoot the bows that interest you. Some of the higher end bows are Mathews, Hoyt, Bow Tech, PSE, AR, Browning to name a few. Make sure you shot the bow before you buy to make sure it is comfortable for you. Just because your buddy has a Mathews, doesn't mean that's what you have to buy. Most bow manufactures have different lines in different price ranges, and each bow feels different. Select one that YOU like not what your buddy likes.
As far as broadheads go I shoot the Thunderhead 100 w/ carbon arrows. This setup works well w/ my bow setup and I can shoot field points or the broadheads w/o any difference in impact area.
Back to the bow, remember that a 50-60# bow set up near the peak weight will shoot better than a 60-70# bow set up in the middle. So when selecting a bow get the proper draw weight. I'm 46yrs old and have droped my bow weight to 60# and have no problem shooting in 10 degree weather or killing a deer w/ it. A good archery dealer will get you set up properly. Good luck selecting a new bow, shooting these new bows is a lot of fun