Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Scent control clothes?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Scent control clothes?

Im getting sticker shock when I see the prices on scent control clothes. If Im going to spend alot of money I would like to make sure Im not being taken for a fool.
1. Which brand has the best scent control? Scent-loc, Scent blocker, Supprescent, Abscent.....
2. Which brand is the most durable when washed?
3. Is scent control clothing really needed if you take precautions to control scent on your body and cloths?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2004, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent control clothes?

Viper I truley believe in in scent control cloths. and to answer you questions

1) Scent Lok and Scent Blocker are about the the same. Scent Blocker is liscenced by the parent companiey of Scent Lok. This I believe is why scent blocker is a little more expensive than scent lok. I am not sure supressant and abscent. I truely like scent lok. I use the liners A) because they are a little cheaper B) you can use your choice of camo. I like realtree hard woods and it is hard to find scent lock in that pattern.

2) I wash mine about every 2 weeks depending on how hot it is and how much I sweat.

3) I still hunt the wind. They are not a mircle cure for have your scent blow in a deers face. They have good protection from swirling wind and still hotand steamy days in the early season with no wind. This is something you should think about - I have had more dear at less than 5 yards since switch to scent lok than every had in 15 years of hunting.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: slobbyrobby33

3) I still hunt the wind. They are not a mircle cure for have your scent blow in a deers face. They have good protection from swirling wind and still hotand steamy days in the early season with no wind. This is something you should think about - I have had more dear at less than 5 yards since switch to scent lok than every had in 15 years of hunting.
Viper ,
the first sentence says it all . Carbon is great for cooking steaks , but it's no substitute for a proper scent control program . Carbon is also a great insulator , so imagine how much stink your sweaty face and neck are giving off while the rest of you is protected . If cost is a barrier then go to Sportsmans Guide and buy some nice cheap $15 MOPP suits , you can throw them away after 2 weeks and not worry about "reactivating" them , which cannot be done at home anyway .
Old 08-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: viper10

Im getting sticker shock when I see the prices on scent control clothes. If Im going to spend alot of money I would like to make sure Im not being taken for a fool.
1. Which brand has the best scent control? Scent-loc, Scent blocker, Supprescent, Abscent.....
2. Which brand is the most durable when washed?
3. Is scent control clothing really needed if you take precautions to control scent on your body and cloths?

Thanks for your help
I own an Scent Lok Savanna set of camo only because I was able to buy it with gift certificates. While I do believe it works to an extent it is not everything it's hyped up to be. You cannot "forget the wind" as they advertise. You still need to take all of the same precautions as you do without the camo. One thing I will give a thumbs up on is the quality. The camo is lightweight, quiet and durable. However it does seem to hold in body heat and it's warmer than what I would expect from a lightweight camo set.

I personally don't recommend scent control clothes. When you consider the price, special care and short lifespan I just don't think they are worth it. But that's just my humble opinion.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Spike

How many out there using scent controll clothing are also using at hat or hood with the system on or in it? Just curious because so much head from the body is expelled through the human head and scent with it.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:31 PM

Take a look at the X-scent clothing. It's less expensive and works by eliminating the bacteria that causes odor. No reactivation like carbon suits. No specail care , no chemicals to wash out. No lifespan to worry about. The garment last as long as any regular garment would. The carbon suits are only good for about 40 reactivations.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY

If you really want to get some scent control clothing, check out ebay. Plenty of it.

Jay
Old 08-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Terminator

How many out there using scent controll clothing are also using at hat or hood with the system on or in it? Just curious because so much head from the body is expelled through the human head and scent with it.
I have a Scent Lok headcover that I use.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 PM

Stalker6 I have been very curious about the X-Scent products. They sound great have you tested them or know of any articles that have been written about X-Scent by hunters?

Thanks everybody for your replys. Keep em coming.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Spike

Well, I'm new to the forum but this is the second string of questons on scent control Ifound in my short time on the board. I have both scent lok and scent blocker, would agree they are very much alike and effective. Doesn't mean you can forget about the wind as their adds claim, but does help decrease the amount of scent your dumping down from your stand, like rubber boots help decrease a scent trail walking into the stand.
If you don't mind getting dirty, the best method is to go to an army surplus store and buy a military chemical suit, they are charcol lined and as effective as the best scent blocker clothing line and only cost around $25 for the jacket and pants. The downside is that you get covered in the charcol dust in the process and you can't wash them. This would be like a disposable suit.
Charcol does work, I'm in health care and we use charcol for odor control in open wounds, applying it between layers of guaze.
And finaly, then off my soap box...sorry to the non-believers, there is a second generation of scent lock on the market. These brands blend silver into the fabric which is an antibacterial. This supposidly eliminates the odor instead of containing it, never washes out and is about half the cost of charcol. An interesting article: http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...an/x-scent.htm
Hope you found this helpful, and good hunting!

Quick Reply: Scent control clothes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.