Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Which rangefinder would you choose, Nikon or Bushnell?

Old 06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which rangefinder would you choose, Nikon or Bushnell?

I believe at one point in time they were both made by the same company just sold under license. I think they still are.
Is this true? I would like to know out of curiosity.

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro 500 and it is a fine rangefinder. This will be my third year with it [and I still have not had to change the battery] and I generally stay in the mountains for a month. [I'm retired.]

In the right conditions, it will range as close as 19 yards but regularly at 20 and out to 500 yards [never had to use it to range this far though].

When an animal is 20 yards or less I don't need a rangefinder. If I am in my stand closer ranging would be nice but even there it is not necessary.

I use the Archers Choice-Grizzly five pin sight and with my pins I can range elk and deer at 20 yards as well. So closer distances are not a problem.

One thing I like with my 500 is that unless I am thoroughly looking an area over, I use it in place of my binoculars.

It is a fine addition to the load in my daybag.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which rangefinder would you choose, Nikon or Bushnell?

At the moment I have a Bushnell Sport that I find entirely adequate for my bowhunting situations. However, based on my experiences with the Nikon Monarch binos I picked up last season I think I would get the Nikon Monarch rangefinder if I had to do it again.