Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Input wanted on "Oust Composite" carbons

Old 06-01-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Input wanted on "Oust Composite" carbons

Anyone shot and hunted with "Oust Composite" carbons?

http://www.customarchery.com/carbon-vision.htm

I have never been interested in using carbons, a lack of interest derived from the many negatives I have been told or have read about carbon arrows. However, during several conversations with the person (Steve) who is building a bow for me, our discussions eventually involved aluminum shafts and carbons.

Steve personally knows the owner of "Oust Composites," and it is Steve's opinion that "Oust Composites" manufactures the best aluminum and carbon shafts on the market today. "Oust" makes a "fluted" aluminum shaft that Steve has used for some time. He said he has never had a better performing aluminum shaft than the "Oust" fluted shaft. I have to pass because the shaft uses glue-on nocks and I will not go back to glue-on nocks.

As for the quality of the "Oust" carbons, regarding straightness, strength, and matched OD and ID, Steve said that he knows that the quality control by "Oust" is so important and extremely meticulous, that "Oust" discards thousands of carbon shafts that do not meet the "Oust" standards. That piece of information from someone whose judgement and information I trust has me wondering about "Oust" carbons.

All input welcomed.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Input wanted on "Oust Composite" carbons

Methinks someone bought out CAE. Those look like CAE arrows, specs, names, etc.

I believe most of them are made in Korea, if that is a concern of yours.

I used the CAE X-caliber fluted arrrows for a few years. They did shoot well and performed adequately on game. They bend easily, and are somewhat brittle compared to Easton when you try to straighten them. You can straighten them by looking down the flutes to check them though. Harder to straighten on a conventional aluminum arrow straightener due to the flutes.

I think they may send their "cull" arrows to Cabelas. I had some of the Cabelas SST arrows (skinny carbons) and the durability and wall thickness uniformity left a lot to be desired, but I have been told that the Cabelas arrows were CAE's 3rd or 4th quality shafts.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Joe PA:

It is possible. However I was given the impression that the "Oust" product is their own innovation and that they have been in business for 20+ years. In fact, according to their ad, "Oust" states they have been in the archery business for 27 years and all their shafts are made in the USA.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the old CAE website it now says Oust composites.

CAE carbon arrows used to be made in China, and they sent thier culls to Cabelas. That is directly from the (former?)owner of CAE Carl Lekavich (sp).

The fluted alums were made in the USA IIRC.

The fluted alums indeed are brittle because they all use a .012 wall thickness. They were a pain to use with a prong rest ,a PITA to fletch, and bent easily

Quality/tolerances on the filament wound (Pultruded style) carbons was generally very good..the Pro-Selects in particular..which I shot on and off for two years.

They had durability issues though..moreso than Beman and AFC brand pultrudeds. They tended to completely shatter into a bazillion pieces on a hard impact or when taking a nock end hit.

I haven't tried any of thier newer IC type carbons..they may be good, but pricing is high directly off the website for what essentially is a crapshoot (unless they offer refunds).