Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

LX review

Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 PM

Default LX review

I have hesitated to do a review on this forum, due to some posts about the people doing them work for companys or are just product loyal. I am an electrical tech for a printer and am only product loyal to things that work for me. I must admit that I am very loyal to the Muzzy zero effect due to how it works for me. I do feel it is over priced as are their broad heads, as are most heads and a lot of rests. Well, off the soap box on to the LX[:-]. I will start off with the good things I feel this bow offers. The bow was as quiet as any bow I' ve ever shot without any add on silencers. I can only compare this bow to ones I' ve owned which are(Bowtech mighty mite, Parker feather mag,Mathews MQ1, 2 Mathews conquest with different cams,and a lot of PSE and Hoyts(not cam 1.5) in the last 20 years. The LX balances better than any bow I have owned. It is also the only bow I feel I could shoot without a stabalizer(but I have a Stealth custom 4" on it) I' m not into the speed thing but at 61 lbs. with limbs cranked all the way down and 27.5 draw length it is fairly fast. The bow seems to be made very well. I haven' t found any paint or machineing flaws. The grip fits me very well and there is little hand shock(not quite dead in the hand, but real close). The bearings in the cam and idler is long over due and I feel everyone will go to this feature in the future(some already have). Bushings wearing out has caused many a bow with cam lean and the problems that go with it. I will hunt with this bow this year and hopefully a few years to come. I have shot some of the best groups of my life with this bow. It seems to be very forgiving and my left and right arrows have decreased noticeably. Now for the negitives I have found with this bow. If you want a draw length specific bow, this is the one for you. I ordered it 1/2" short and had to change the cam. This was my fault but when you time this bow to Mathews specs, there is no room for draw length adjustement. Mathews specs for this bow is 6 5/8" brace height and 35 3/4" axle to axle(they list the bow as a 35" a to a bow, go figure[]). I know these specs are listed as approx. but my bow with correct cable and string length is 6 3/8" and 35 7/8" . The a to a is not a problem for me but I would REALLY like the other 1/4" draw length. When hunting, this could become an issue with heavy clothing. I did twist the cable and string up and was able to get 6 1/2" but lost 6 lbs of draw weight and the bow didn' t feel right. If there was ever a bow designed for Winner choice strings, this would be the one. The Zebra string and cable that came on my bow has stretched 3 times and I am about to wear out the limb bolts adjusting the bow[:' (]. I will have a new cable and string before hunting season(probably Winners choice) Aside from these issues, I would buy the bow again, al thow the brace height is my major issue with this bow. If I could get the brace to Mathews specs, I would give this bow a solid 10(with exception of the junkie Zebra string and cable)[:@]. The Muzzy zero effect designed for this bow has worked flawlessly for me on this bow but I have the origional on two other bows and am VERY bias to this rest as stated earlier. Please take this review as it was intended. I just wanted to let my fellow archers know how I feel about this bow after shooting it for a couple of months. I just wanted point out some features and concerns you might want to check out when concidering this bow. Bows are not cheap and making the wrong choice, at least for me, means I have to live with my mistake for a long time. Don
Old 08-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Default RE: LX review

Nice review

I shot it a few times and it is a nice shooter. Very well made it seems

But the brace was not for me.

Good Luck with it
Old 08-15-2003, 02:47 PM

That`s a nice review,thanks.But I already knew it.I`am very pleased with my LX,the BH is no problem for me.I had George Bowman make new string and cables for mine,which made a world of difference.I also shoot the MZE,so I had Bowman serve where the cable attachment goes,worked out great!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:10 PM

Hey rack-attack, Other that a little tap on the arm now and then[], you would think it had a much higher brace. It' s very forgiving and accurate.Hey trestand, I had wondered how serving at the Muzzy attachement would work. What does Bowman charge for a string and cable and how would you compare them to Winners choice. Thanks, Don
Old 08-16-2003, 08:05 AM

I really like mine. Mine came in at 35 3/4" exactly and exactly 6 5/8" bh. My string has stretched also and is it is now set back at 35 3/4" a t a and 6 1/2" bh....but I did change my grip out and I think thats where I lost the 1/8" bh.

This is the best shooting bow that I have owned and like you, I am getting my best groups ever and will be going into this season more confident than ever.

My only problem with it is that maxed out ......they pull too much weight. Mine will max at 74-76 lbs. And while I like shooting fast I don' t want to shoot a 76 lb bow.....so I have my limb bolts turned down a turn and a half = 69 # . Besides that.....I wish they came with better strings/cables !!

Old 08-19-2003, 06:23 AM

Don,The serving on the cable worked perfect,it really gives the cable attachment something to bite on.Bowman uses 8125,VERY nicely made,I like the way George serves the loops,plus,he listens to what YOU want in your string.String,cable,three colors,80.00 bucks for my LX,shipping included.Give him a call,905-866-5654.....Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 06:37 AM

Almost forgot,I' ve had WC' s on a Q2,and a SC 03 Patriot.WC' s-two colors-90-100.00 bucks,depending where you buy them.Bowman,3 colors,80.00 delivered. Both are great products,but IMHO the Bowman is the better string...Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 08:05 PM

I went from a PSE Nova to my LX. Like going from a Volkswagon beatle to a 4x4 Dodge Ram. (or something like that) I shot a variety of bows before I bought my LX. This one just felt the best and had all of the features I was looking for. Fast, quite, smooth draw, well balanced, comfortable a 2 a size, brace height was not an issue, did I mention it was fast.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:42 PM

I sold my " Legacy" about two months ago (which I thought was the best bow made) and bought the new LX. Now I know it wasn' t the best bow made, because the LX is.......that' s my opinion by the way! I have not had any problems with the BH. Actually, I hit my arm more with the Legacy. Go figure! My accuracy increased tremenduously from the first shot with the LX. I put on a Loesch grip and have ordered a Winners Choice string and cable set. The zebra string is my only complaint! The thing is continually stretching and cannot keep my peep in the same place to save my life. I know Mathews owns Zebra, but if they would install WC strings from the factory, the LX would be the hottest thing around (in my opinion). Overall = 9.95
Old 08-21-2003, 03:29 PM

I still belive LX is too slow for it' s brace height. It is great shooter for short draw guys like less then 29 inches.
String suppressors they Do work but they don' t not fit my Lone Wolf' s tree stands grommet. It is a pain to see my bow fly to the ground from 18 feet!
Last year I shot Legacy this year Patriot 2003 SC.
Time will tell how Patriot will work for me this bow season. I am ready for this season now.
Vodek