Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Brunton vs. Pentax

Old 08-07-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Brunton vs. Pentax

Hi,

I am evaluating the Brunton Eterna 7x42 and the Pentax DCF WP 8x42 for use in eastern woods stand/still hunting with a bow for deer. Any experience with either, and recommendations?

Thanks!

Pete
Old 08-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Default RE: Brunton vs. Pentax

Pete, I don' t have any experience with Brunton products so I can' t comment on them but I have had a pair of Pentax PCF 10x50' s for about 5 yrs. or so and I wouldn' t trade them for anything unless it would be the DCF WP 8x42' s that you are considering. The DCF line is not quite as bulky as the PCF' s. Pentax has an excellent quality product that is not outlandishly priced. I think you would be quite satisfied with the Pentax......I know I am with mine!
Old 08-10-2003, 10:30 PM

I just purchased ny second paur of Brunton 10x42s, not that I had any trouble with mine, my wife took over my first pair, for the money they are great. I also have a buddy that loves his also. Im like MOTurkeyTamer in that I have no experience with the Pentax so I cant compare them, They are probably both quality optics. If possible try to get a pair that are FULLY-MULTI-COATED. That means that every lense surface inside has multiple coating layers. The Bruntons are but I dont know about the Pentax.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the 7 x 42 Eterna' s and really like them. However, I bought them as much for using in the stand as glassing deer while riding to my property, but never take them hunting. The reason is that with all the stuff I bring to the stand, they would be more bulk and weight. Be sure you plan to take that much extra weight for the long term before committing to such a purchase. It seems to me that getting a good pair for the vehicle is a good idea, but a cheaper, small and light pair is best for hunting because it is more practical. Identifying deer is the key, not necessarily getting the nth degree of clarity. Ie. why pay $200 more and have a bulkier, heavy binocular for a bit more clear of a picture?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 pairs of Pentax binos' 12x50, 10x50' s and 8x42 DCP WP' s you mentioned, I think they are great and their Customer Service department ime has been top notch. I have returned my 12x50' s & 10 x50' s due to my own stupidity and to my suprise they fixed them at no charge under the lifetime warranty....so I can' t complain.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have a pair of Pentax DCF WP 10x42. They are awesome. I have compared them to my buddy' s swarovski 10x42 and I cannot tell a difference until it is basicaly dark and then there is small difference, but not enough difference to warrant the extra expense in my opinion.