Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Binoculars

Old 08-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Binoculars

I am looking for a pair of bowhunting binoculars, I have narrowed it down to 3. Bushnell 8 x 21, 10 x 25, and Tasco 8 x 21...what would you recommend?
Old 08-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Binoculars

They are all junk! You get what you pay for.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m in total agreement. None of the above. None are going to pass enough light through when you need it most. About all the above are any good for is looking at something across the store when you are looking for binocular.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Spike

yep, what ever they cost will be down the drain. never go below 30 mm objectives. And that is not that big. I have a pair of Steiner 8x30 predators. Fairly light but not small. 30, 32 or 40, 42 mm are better. I think mine are good for the money ($189). Nikon has a 8x42 that looks interesting.

If you have very little to spend, get cheap-o 8/10x50. The cheap ones are really light which helps make up for the size. the 50mm will pass more light.

Trust those guys, the 21 or 25 mm you will hate the last hour of the evening.

They ain' t cheap. sorry.

If you have to buy Walmart cheap, look at the 8X32 or 10x32. I don' t like anything above 8x. If you want to get me something for my birthday, I want 8x42 Steiner Predator. Can' t swing the cash.

Edit: Look at these simmons 8x42 for 49.99 at nachez. I order from them, they are good to deal with.
http://www.natchezss.com/index.html

Good luck,
Dayton

Dayton
Old 08-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Spike

7x42 Leica or Swarovski are the best IMO for East coast hunting. But you' re looking at $500+ for used. For the value, get yourself a pair of Pentax 8x42 DCF WP. They are some of the brightest glasses out there, and can be picked up on Ebay for around $275-$300.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:04 PM

I forgot to include that I am 16 years old therefore my budget is pretty tight. I looked at Nikon, but I just can' t afford them yet[:@]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 AM

After reading your last post, I' d suggest you compare them side by side and pick the ones that appear to be the clearest and brightest. Then, when you get older and have a better budget, toss them in the trash and buy something better. I carry Nikon 9x32 Travellites. Small, yet very nice glass.

Ranger690. I also have a pair of Nikon 10x42 in Realtree Camo. They are great!!! I save them for rifle hunting though since I' m usually out in prairie country in Western Oklahoma.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

OlMossyHorns,

I think you need to ask yourself a few question. What are you going to be using them for? Are they mainly to be used for Arhcery Hunting out of a tree stand? If so, are you going to be glassing fields? Or are you going to be in open areas stalking?

I have two pairs of Bino' s. One that I carry with me in the stand deer hunting, and another that I use for open areas in Colorado.

For my stand binos, I rarely use them, so they aren' t the most expensive out there. I have a set of Tasco' s that I spent about 50 dollars for, and that is all I need. Ussually while I am deer hunting, I enter the stand in the morning, and leave at dark. I ussually hunt in the woods, not fields, so my field of view is limited. I don' t need the best thing out there. If I do use them, it is ussually after I have spooted a deer with the naked eye. Then I may use them to look at an arrow after a hit, or where a deer if running to after a hit.

For my other binos, I have a decent pair of Zhumells, but that is for glassing mountains, which is a whole nother thing.

My advice is to get on e-bay and see what you can find. That is where I got my Zhumells. I got them for 50% of retail price, and they had been used for 6 hours.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:04 AM

All I would use them for is stand hunting in the woods. With our new antler restrictions, I just want something to make sure before a deer get' s too close if it is a shooter or not.....I want be doing any open area spot and stalk or anything like that.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Then I really wouldn' t worry about getting the best thing out there. Especially if you are on a tight budget. I' m sure that there are other things that you will need more. I saw a pair of Bushnell' s at Walmart the other day. I believe that they were 8x42. I believe they were around $40. You may want to check them out.

Quick Reply: Binoculars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.