Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead disappointment

Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Broadhead disappointment

I know you can't judge a broadhead, or any product for that matter, on a single incident but I am a bit disappointed with the Slick Trick Razor Tricks I used this year.
I am shooting a Martin Cheetah set at about 57# and Carbon Impact Fat Shaft 5000 arrows. Granted the shot was pretty tight to the shoulder, catching the corner but I only got about 12" of penetration with a small entry wound and no exit wound from a distance ot 22 yds. The deer was a decent size and I did manage to get enough penetration to rupture both lungs. Fortunate too was the fact that he only went about 60 - 75 yards and I watched him fall because there was absoultely zero blood trail.
I think I will be sticking with my Magnus Stingers next year. They haven't let me down yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default slick tricks

Probably won't get many replys to this one because it seems like eveybody here shoots Slick Tricks. Magnus makes a great product. Congrats on finding your deer.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you caught the shoulder and still managed to get into both lungs and put the deer down within 70 yards with a 57 pound bow I don't see what there is to complain about regardless of what broadhead you used.

Penetration may have been just a bit deeper because of the smaller cutting diameter of the stinger but, as good as Magnus stingers are I imagine you would have gotten nearly identical results had you been using them instead of the razor tricks.

As far as the small entry wound goes it is going to be exactly the same size of the broadhead. It's 1.125"X.785" can't be any smaller or larger.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default thought I would attach a pic

BB you are correct. Size is size. Maybe it was the angle from the several deer I shot with the Stingers but the entry and exit holes were bigger. Most likely because of entering on an angle. I do like the way the STs fly. But as we know, archery is all about confidence and I may have lost a little with the STs. I was very fortunate with this deer because he went down so fast. The last 3 deer I harvested with the bow went less than 100 yds and died within sight. But with the Stingers there were pass thrus. I'm not saying the STs are a bad BH by any means but I think, even though I was only shooting 57#, the angle design of the ST vs the Stingers may have had something to do with the penetration. The Stingers do have a sharper profile which may allow for deeper penetration where as the ST profile is flatter which would theorically take more energy to drive through a deer regardless of the hit location. If you look close, you can see the entry wound between my bowstring and cable.
Attached Thumbnails Broadhead disappointment-2010-buck-006.jpg